Buying a Watchmaker's Bench

SparkyLB

Some might have noticed I started a thread first about buying, then about making my own. 

A friendly cautionary tale to those like myself who are just getting into this hobby and like the wonderful pictures of benches on Amazon and eBay.  It seems that all who sell benches, sell the one I purchased. 

grobet.jpg.cb16099a2f9a1965db85e42a500992f0.jpg

I was reluctant to note the manufacturer, but it's necessary for this post.  Doesn't matter from whom you purchase, just be aware of a few things.  The drawer assemblies are laid with the back facing down.  Since the drawers are shorter than the compartments that hold them, they are hanging from the false front.  Gravity/age/dropping causes the false fronts to stay put, as the drawers themselves drop, splitting, splintering separating the drawers from their fronts. 

The layout is classic (from what I've been seeing) but the quality is simply not there.  ALL wood is veneer, and the backs and sides could be split by a stern talking to.  Some list the manufacturer, many don't.  Some have a nameplate, some don't, but Grobet is the manufacturer and it seems these were made by the hundreds, boxed, and sit on warehouse shelves. 

Lastly, the wood is dehydrated and shrunk to the point where the typical hardware holes no longer line up.  You can certainly fix this, but as my wife said, "You're putting that $700 desk back in the box."  (That included shipping). I could have made this work quite easily, but the low quality of materials didn't warrant "fixing" it. 

Last word: do not buy a desk unless you can put your eyes on it.  Mark Twain's quote comes to mind: "Beleive nothing of what you hear, and 50% of what you see." 

Larry. 

Edited by SparkyLB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well said SparkyLB  Its only when things like this happen and some one posts the findings that others benefit from that knowledge,  $700 worth of plywood is a bit much. I bought a computer desk from Ikea 20y ago still going strong and now used a a clock repair bench, no drawers though which is a bit of a bind.  good speed with the construction    cheers

• Like 1

What's really sad is everyone's using apparently stock photos of a bench made a very long time ago that looks very nice. 

Always interesting to read reviews like on Amazon where they sell this bench. Casually it looks like it might be okay until you actually read all the reviews in detail. If you start with the most critical reviews first the review up above is probably too kind for the bench. Then once you've read the really bad review you start reading the good reviews and I think people are just so happy to get a watchmakers bench that they're willing to put up with the quality just isn't there for the price. 

Then we face another problem of watch repair is a specialty field this gives limited sources for people a by tools and supplies from. Grobet Is listed as the manufacture but if you look at their website they're basically just a distributor even though they do say they manufacture. Obviously zero quality control and they probably contract someplace on the planet to have the bench made. Because they really look more like a tool distributor than a tool manufacture

Unfortunately the lesson here is unless you physically see the bench you're buying this is definitely not the one you want to get. This may also explain why so many of the Swiss benches appear to no longer be made out of wood

http://www.grobetusa.com/

• 4 weeks later...

The wood is unfinished save for some sanding.  No screws.  I had to call and complain because several drawer faces were split at the factory while stapling them to their frames.  They did send replacements.  The drawers have no top tracks/guidez so when open all the way they hang at an angle.  The counter edge is not curved and it bites into my forearms and the wood used is low quality.  

I wouldnt buy another

oh.  Forgot to add the bottom part right above my thighs that is supposed to be a pull out shelf is A) too low.  It should be right under the top counter b) was so warped i cant use it if i wanted to.  I use it to weigh down the top of my air dryer box for clock parts.  Haha

Who the heck knows.  I dont know where it was manufactured.  Ive seen better quality at pier one.  

The fact is i ordered it from Grobet because their shipping was much cheaper.  I couldve ordered one from https://atoztoolsonline.com/ which is where i bought my really nice one but the shipping was about 300 dollars for freight.  I had the $ then to buy a nice one.  I should not have scrimped on the price.

As with everything clock/ watch/ jewelry tool related.......you get what you pay for.

I stopped working on clocks for a few years because my significant other was making good money so i sold all of my equipment to my business partner along with the beautiful jewelers bench.

I asked to buy it back and he laughed.  He's gotton spoiled.  This is a link to the one i owned.  Its gone up in price

https://atoztoolsonline.com/collections/benches-accessories/products/grs-workbench

I will say this.  I bought a great packing/shipping table from Uline with a sanded and sealed maple wood top for 400 plus about 80 shipping but im near a Uline warehouse.

I liked it so much i have 5 now.  3 are the bigger $400 one and i have 2 that i paid maybe $280.  They dont have storage but the tops are very good quality wood

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

Is it suppose to have been made in the US or Grobet imported it from China. 

if you look at their website they claim they manufacture it just doesn't say what they manufacture. 

unfortunately this discussion is confirming that if you wish to purchase a bench you have to physically see it and just because it's new doesn't mean that it is anything resembling quality.

http://www.grobetusa.com/