Seiko 7009-3170 crystal, gaskets?

I just serviced the 7009 movement from a 7009-3170.  I haven't put it on the timegrapher yet, but it's keeping decent time from last night.

The crystal is trashed, and the case gasket fell apart.  Stem gasket looks iffy.  I've tried searching, but I can't seem to find any information on this particular case.  I've found a bunch of pdf's that claim to relate to Seiko cases, but somehow, I'm just not finding what I think I need.  So, I have questions:

1. Does anyone know how this crystal comes out?  I'm hesitant to just put it on a press and push, though that might answer it.

2. Does anyone know the crystal size?  Getting it out, I could measure it, but I'm not quite there yet.

3. Where is the best place to buy gaskets?  I've not done that yet, so this is new territory for me.

Thanks in advance.

7009-3170_Front.jpg

7009-3170_Rear.jpg

20 minutes ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

I believe the crystal comes out with the bezel. When you pop the bezel off, the crystal will still be in it.

Not on these Seiko five which are built for simplification and ease of assembly. Just press out and replace with a generic crystal. No point in wasting time chasing original parts that even if found would cost more and be identical. 

• Like 3

The Bezel might pop off the case when you remove the crystal so be aware.

The Bezel might be difficult to fit back to case if the gasket is hard....a little silicone grease might help ease it in.

But.....If you support the bezel the crystal will come out 

Crystal is 290P02LN03 or 29mm generic glass crystal and you can measure the thickness.

crown gasket is DB0055B01 generic is possible 1.75mm or 2.05mm not sure

case back gasket is FH2980B02 or generic flat 29.8mm x 0.5mm might be fine

try cousins for spares in UK

Edited by Melt
  • Like 1

Well... I put it on the press.  Cracked the crystal, which is OK since I'm replacing it, but a bit embarrassing.  The bezel came off with it.  The bezel has small indents to pry it off.  I guess I'll look more closely next time.

The crystal measures 31x1.8, so I'll try a generic.  The gasket WAS ok except I tried to slip an Xacto in there in case it was glued.

The threads on the back of the case measure 29.6 mm, so I'll try the generic 29.8 x 0.5?  Where do they measure the diameter on a gasket?  Centerline?  OD?  ID?

My bad the crystal might have to come out from the bezel the other way......that might be why it cracked.

Strange it's 31mm as the case number quotes 29mm but sometimes case backs get swapped.

ID for gaskets I believe. 

8 hours ago, Melt said:

My bad the crystal might have to come out from the bezel the other way......that might be why it cracked.

No, as mentioned above it's never so on that class of watches. And gaskets can always be re-used unless damaged messing with them as happened here. I'm afraid the OP is a bit ham fisted, working on crystals is delicate - just as everything else on watches.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Melt said:

Strange it's 31mm as the case number quotes 29mm but sometimes case backs get swapped.

ID for gaskets I believe. 

Where do you find the case information?

23 minutes ago, jdm said:

No, as mentioned above it's never so on that class of watches. And gaskets can always be re-used unless damaged messing with them as happened here. I'm afraid the OP is a bit ham fisted, working on crystals is delicate - just as everything else on watches.

Hamfisted may be too kind! ;-)  I bought a bunch of cheapies on ebay so I could learn by mistake on inexpensive experimental test subjects before I move on to anything that matters.

I'll try to remember to take a picture tonight.  The bezel comes off the front of this case (whatever it's case number should be).  So, I guess you'd call it a 3-piece case?  I've done crystal swaps on an SKX, and this one is different for sure.

3 minutes ago, Weetabix said:

Where do you find the case information?

Among others, Cousins UK and Boley.de let you search by case reference for Seiko and other makers.

1 minute ago, Weetabix said:

Hamfisted may be too kind! ;-)  I bought a bunch of cheapies on ebay so I could learn by mistake on inexpensive experimental test subjects before I move on to anything that matters.

Very good, BTW I have broken my good share of crystals and other assorted parts too.

So, I guess you'd call it a 3-piece case?

Yes. That allows to delivery fine contours and details with ease of manufacturing.

I've done crystal swaps on an SKX, and this one is different for sure.

Below 1.2mm they break very easily, you can break a 0.8mm pushing it out by hand. Try to use only crown type dies on the crystal, and a lever type press if possible, as it provides better feedback. 

• Like 1