Seiko service repair

2 hours ago, jdrichard said:

So the swap out fits perfectly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, The NH36 is really just a 7s26 with the extra complications added, the hands and dial fit the new movement , only thing that would have to be 'fettled' is fitting the existing crown to the new stem as the 7s26 stem doesn't support the hand winding complication. Straightforward on a 3 o'clock dress watch, a bit more complicated on the SKX as the screw down crown can't be removed from the original stem, I fitted a 'Dragon Shrouds' Jumbo crown to mine to get round that...

If you wanted to keep the white on black day and day wheels they can be swapped over to the new movement to replace black on white ones that it comes with..

Edited by JohnD

6 hours ago, jdrichard said:

So the swap out fits perfectly?

The answer "yes" given above is substantially correct but incomplete and hurried. 

For example, on the very popular swapping to a SKX 200m divers, one cannot reuse the original stem/crown combo, so a new one must be bought.

Then, one must reuse the original movement ring, as well the day disc.

But you cannot count on carrying over the date wheel, because that changes across versions. 

I wrote about that many times here and on WUS, it should be easy to locate my postings for those that desire to gain full understanding and do a perfect job. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 2

Many thanks guys. I needed the reassurance I had not screwed up. The watch has been completely repaired and serviced. The pallet stones had come adrift and using Mark L's repair of his brother inlaw's Seiko and a different video Mark posted on setting the pallet stones with shellac the watch is now showing good readings on the timegrapher.

The watch is a friends so will not be swapping out the movement but thanks for the heads up on that.

I'll post pics of the timegrapher readings tonight.

What through me out was in Marks first video of Seiko 7226C watch service at 4:20 to 4:30 (10 seconds of play time), Mark states he wound the movement manually. I now realise he must have used a screw-driver in the ratchet wheel retaining screw.

Once again thanks to all at WRT.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I voted leave too, my reasoning was the the EU is undemocratic, no elected officials. I don't regret it but I  am sad that both sides acted like petulant toddlers.  Shameful.  I'm not on other forums but if I was and left this site, would you shun me? Of course not, we aren't petulant toddlers.  
    • This is a type of tool that may be suitable to remove the bezel - though note that I'm pretty sure the watch should be face down - not face up, as in some of the photos of these tools on amazon & ebay! If you try one one of those, put the movement screws back in first to avoid accidents. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Removal-Professional-Remover-Watchmaker-Diameter/dp/B09XCH4QVN?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A296NCMMFVXSDN&th=1  
    • Hi, I’m constantly asking my wife to help me with removing the stem in order to complete casing. To expand, this is not a challenge for me when the setting lever is secured by a screw (older calibers). However when the setting lever is attached to a spring loaded setting lever axel, like on more modern calibers, I simply don’t see how to apply enough pressure on the button to get the stem out short of putting the movement face down with the dial and hands attached, which I’m loath to do in order to avoid damaging the dial/hands? what technique should I be using? thanks  
    • Many thanks for your advice (being borne in mind at present) & offer Dell. When I was given the clock the plastic anchor was loose on the arbour (it had split at the 'hole') &, after repairing this, I have been trying to determine whether the spindle (pin) should be perpendicular when the pallet is sitting on a flat surface; or whether, when installed, its L-R extremes (or alternatively its tick & tock points) should lie at equal angles from the vertical when moved with spring absent. I can get the clock to run but in every such configuration the top block has to be turned anti-clockwise (from above) by quite a bit in order to be 'in beat' & it always runs fast (despite the pendulum being set to as slow as possible). This makes me wonder if there is any particular feature of/fault in a torsion spring clock which determines which turn direction (if any) is necessary to get it 'in beat'; & whether there would be a different set of settings that would get it running nearer to time at somewhere around the mid timing/inertia position which would then allow tweaking of the fast/slow setting.
    • Now this has happened I bet China or India just to name two will start to produce none genuine parts.  I did. But idiot Boris Johnson failed miserably in his negotiations. The E U stitched up the UK like a kipper. Nigel Farage  offered his help but big head Boris declined. So this is why we are in this mess all because Johnson wasn't clever enough.