Dial Cleaning

Working on a Hamilton 992 with a dirty dial. A fine cleaning with Rodico followed by targeted removal of spots and blotches with a toothpick; and then a cleanup with Rodico and Ta Da.

852b50ca2bddd21baf4da6b54276cf33.jpg43e69ac00b8dfc654451c9f635fb0ca8.jpgf9c756ba0c960b12443ba4ac073929e2.jpg

And the movement was cleaned with Rodico as well. Being very careful not to touch the jewel holes. This PW has a swing of 540 Degrees.

00df030354393e242541aaa4cc6d345d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

8 hours ago, spectre6000 said:

How does that work?

Total arc of swing from extreme clockwise point to extreme anti-clockwise point is double the amplitude. So a swing of 540 degrees is an amplitude of 270 degrees. 

• Like 2

Total arc of swing from extreme clockwise point to extreme anti-clockwise point is double the amplitude. So a swing of 540 degrees is an amplitude of 270 degrees. 

Thanks Marc. I usually use my iPhone in slo-mo to observe the swing. I also bought eTimer for looking closely at the performance. Would it be possible for you to make a video on how to use eTimer for diagnosing watch problems. Their manual is not sufficient.

9 hours ago, Marc said:

4 hours ago, jdrichard said:

360 plus 180 :) Full swing. Amplitude is 1/2 that value

Right. Duh. I read it as amplitude. Don't usually see it stated in terms of full swing. Opposite of BPM and Hz. I think in Herz, but it's always stated in terms of BPM. 

4 hours ago, jdrichard said:

No. Used a toothpick to remove the yellow stuff!! Then cleaned up with Rodico.

So, you scraped every square mm of the dial with a toothpick, and yellow schmutz came off? Interesting... Seems like that's a porcelain dial-only strategy. 

So, you scraped every square mm of the dial with a toothpick, and yellow schmutz came off? Interesting... Seems like that's a porcelain dial-only strategy. 

I scraped those areas with significant blemishes or moisture bumps, but I did do the whole dial carefully with Rodico

• 8 months later...