Omega 601 stem lock misplaces

Hi!

I need help on this annoying issue.

I purchased a 601 movement, it came with broken part 550-1110 which is part of the stem lock mechanism.

I ordered the replacement part from Cousins - it came in a different color/material as you can see in picture. I refitted it but when pulling the crown in 2nd position it raises up causing the stem not to be retained in position and pull out.

I thought the dial would force it to stay put in place, but no: I did fit and unfit the dial many times now. Pulling the crown in 2nd position causes this new part to raise up and I have to remove the dial to fix it.

Any suggestion? See attached two pictures, one (with arrow) showing the problem, the second just after placing the 550-1110 part in proper retention position.

Thank you!

Ascanio

IMG_4480.jpg

IMG_4481.jpg

30 minutes ago, rodabod said:

Is it a genuine Omega part or an aftermarket part?

Uhm, I did purchase Cousins part number OME5501110G at £9 where G stands for generic... original part OME5501110 is priced £54.

So pretty much that is the reason... you think... yes?

Must say that generic spring doesn't look right, but it probably will do the part.
Since the setting lever spring already looks like it been almost worn out the rest of the parts must be in a good nick.
So I recomend to tear the whole keyless apart, clean it rigourosly and lubricate it again. Dont forgett to inspect and lubricate the stem too.
Otherwise the increased friction always will push that setting lever spring up due to its poor fitting. The lever nob on your still looks good but will wear down if you try the setting as it is now.
I add some action photos from an original Omega 601 so you see how the setting spring should interact.

Winding.

Omega_601_Winding.thumb.jpg.cb788b736633e946c6bb2ed90071ec2a.jpg

Setting.

Omega_601_Setting.thumb.jpg.81aee0dd251910452d9d114457ea96cc.jpg

PS. If you don't get it working I can send you some genuine keyless parts for free, just pop a PM.

• Thanks 1

As an update, I stripped down the keyless movement, cleaned and oiled, but the problem it is still present.

I found here locally in Italy a sealed original part 550-1110 at a very reasonable price (compared to the Cousins list price). I should receive the part in a few days and I will try fitting that... let's hope well. 

The generic part, seeing the original part pictured by the very convenient pictures of HSL, is way different and I hope it is responsible of the raising during position switch.

Thank You!

Hi I think the genuine part will fix it   after market parts although look the same quite often are not. Consider the crispness of the edges of the pattern part are they sharp if not that is likely the problem sliding over the pin not along it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ascanio said:

Replacing the part with a genuine one fixed immediately any issue!!

I'm, so happy now. Thank you all for the suggestions!

Ascanio

May be worth mentioning this to Cousins. I know they don’t generally offer refunds, but maybe they shouldn’t be selling this part if it is indeed incompatible.