UnHommeQuiDort

Tool recommendations for a novice

Question

Apologies if this has been answered many times previously. I used the search function but couldn't find what I'm looking for. Please direct me to the right post if I've missed it!

I'm just after some recommendations on some general purpose watch repair tool "sets" or "kits".. something that'll have most of what you're likely to need for the standard work opening cases, taking apart a movement etc. (even a list of must-have individual items would also be helpful). There seems to be a lot of options out there and I'm wary of a) buying cheap rubbish, and also b) spending too much on something needlessly professional for a novice mucking about with flea market junkers and the like. I don't mind buying something nice if it'll be worth it in the long run, but again - I don't really have the expertise to make that judgement call :) cheers!

4 answers to this question

Hi There are probably more answers than tools available as to what constitutes a list of tools for watch repair, but here goes.

A good quality set of screwdriver,the French screw drivers are good value for money, I you want the best Then its Bergeon but you pay the price, Likewise tweezers, there are good mid range tweezers, by Idealtek and others but the best are Doumont. these I wouldn't skimp on as they are the extensions to you fingers.        They come in various styles and sizes  and you will no doubt be advised by others as what to buy or what they recommend by way of sizes.     Next is a good loupe (eye glass) again these come in various sizes and types   X5     X10  X15 all determined by the focal length.     Some are binocular Visors with interchangeable lenses.         A good movement holder, you can get a good Bergeon movement holder around the £20 mark. Stay away from the cheap chinese ones they are cheap for a reason.  I have attached two PDf's to get you started.

TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf Oils_and_Greases_June_2019.pdf

22 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi There are probably more answers than tools available as to what constitutes a list of tools for watch repair, but here goes.

A good quality set of screwdriver,the French screw drivers are good value for money, I you want the best Then its Bergeon but you pay the price, Likewise tweezers, there are good mid range tweezers, by Idealtek and others but the best are Doumont. these I wouldn't skimp on as they are the extensions to you fingers.        They come in various styles and sizes  and you will no doubt be advised by others as what to buy or what they recommend by way of sizes.     Next is a good loupe (eye glass) again these come in various sizes and types   X5     X10  X15 all determined by the focal length.     Some are binocular Visors with interchangeable lenses.         A good movement holder, you can get a good Bergeon movement holder around the £20 mark. Stay away from the cheap chinese ones they are cheap for a reason.  I have attached two PDf's to get you started.

TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf 4.2 MB · 5 downloads Oils_and_Greases_June_2019.pdf 1.25 MB · 12 downloads

Thanks so much for the info, and those attachments. And yes as Jeryl said, I'm going to start on cheap watches of no sentimental value, hah.