Novice attempting a repair on an Oris Cal 292 movement

Hi all,

Following on from my post in the new member section, I've had a brief examination on my effectively 'spares or repair' Cal 292 movement by Oris.

In summary: 
The watch appears stuck at 'fully wound' - the crown spins freely when winding it counter clockwise, but will not turn clockwise.
When pulling the crown, all hands rotate albeit with a very stiff motion. When tapping the watch, the second hand will increment a few seconds.
Also, I'm aware of the graveness of this mistake, but I accidentally unscrewed the 'set lever screw' too far when removing the crown and stem, and the watch is now stuck in the it's normal 'operational' mode (Argh!)

I've got a few questions to get started; 

• How do I remove the movement from it's case? I've removed the 2 case screws but can't get it out. Pulling at it with tweezers does nothing.
  • I wanted to look at the mainspring and movement train, but can't see how to remove the bridge underneath the fourth wheel (?).

Please see photo below of various screws removed, but not much else.

Many thanks.

IMG_20200520_145120.jpg

The movement is probably in need of a total service with cleaning and lubrication since the drive train is in a dead halt.
I see you got the stem out and been picking various screws away.. guess if you turn it around and take the crystal away with a crystal lift the movement will pop out through the front with a slight push on the back.
Just some theories i have since one can't see the front of the watch.

• Like 1

first thing I would do is put the screws back in  because if the watch really is fully wound up when you take it out of the case and those plates falloff all the mainspring energy is going to unwind really fast it's probably got break something.

then  from the link below you find out that the ratchet wheel is under the dial side.  More than likely from your picture  the move but probably comes out the front side..

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Oris_292

• Like 3

Apologies, please see watch face pictured below:

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Remove the movement retainer ring, it dosen't just pop out you got to pry the ring out.

I've levered upwards in the void to the left of the balance wheel (about 9 oclock in the picture above) with some force, but felt no movement, assuming the is the right area?

IMG_20200515_145004.jpg

Click mech and ratchet wheel are on the dial side, based on your description that " hands move with very stiff resistance" the fault is in gears of the rocker arm which constitute a train to the ratchet wheel when in wind position and another seperate train to make a minute train in set position. 

Bridge will slide out once the movement is out,  as explained screws to the bridge best be put back on. Please take pictures at each stage of disassembly to post if needed, so parts can be marked and returned to you, unless   @watchweasol   finds us an schematic diagram please. :lol:.

looking at the parts list at least they have a nice picture of the front and more important the back.  So I snipped out the image for you if you want to release the power you definitely have to get to the dial side.

282.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all your help so far guys, really, I am truly grateful for all your advice, comments and input.

I've since refitted all the plate screws. I await delivery of a crystal lift which should arrive next week. I will keep you all updated. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Your Oris is rare and collectable,  its dial is genuine and looks good and  if its feet are intact you got a  sought after dial. seconds hand is not genuine, is the crown signed?  

That's daunting - perhaps the watch is too good to be in the hands of someone like me...

The crown doesn't look signed, just very well worn.

IMG_20200521_223514.jpg

18 hours ago, Maxppp said:

Apologies, please see watch face pictured below:

I've levered upwards in the void to the left of the balance wheel (about 9 oclock in the picture above) with some force, but felt no movement, assuming the is the right area?

IMG_20200515_145004.jpg

Cool watch! Use caution on this one, and good luck. I will await the service and seeing a video of it running.

Regards

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maxppp said:

That's daunting - perhaps the watch is too good to be in the hands of someone like me...

The crown doesn't look signed, just very well worn.

IMG_20200521_223514.jpg

All vintage Gents watches are collectable, specially the ones like yours with in-house movement, Oris made all the parts except stones. 

Not too pricy yet not a practice piece either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

All vintage Gents watches are collectable, specially the ones like yours with in-house movement, Oris made all the parts except stones. 

Not too pricy yet not a practice piece either.

Correction ;       All vintage Oris gents watches are collectable. 

Hi all again, minor update. I've managed to remove the crystal and hands without incident. 

However, with the 2 x case screws removed (pictured removed at 12 and 6 o'clock in the picture), and the crown stem removed, but after pushing rather hard, the movement still won't budge! Is it possible I'm missing something obvious? 

rear.jpg

front.jpg

Hello (again!), another update;

I've removed the movement from the case and dial, re-attached the set lever, and unwound the watch.

I guess my next step is disassembly - I was going to attempt something along the lines of this:

http://archive.horlogerie-suisse.com/Theoriehorlogerie/disassembling-mechanical-watch.html

Does that sound like a sensible approach?

movement_back.jpg

movement_front.jpg

4 hours ago, Maxppp said:

I guess my next step is disassembly - I was going to attempt something along the lines of this:

http://archive.horlogerie-suisse.com/Theoriehorlogerie/disassembling-mechanical-watch.html

Is the watch now in a functional state? Because if it's now functional then you can take it apart for cleaning otherwise I'd recommend fixing whatever the problems are.

Then if you like the step-by-step instructions at the link above which Are not exactly going to apply to your watch. Here's a variation on that in a little different format

http://www.eta.ch/swisslab/6497/6947.html

1 minute ago, JohnR725 said:

Is the watch now in a functional state? Because if it's now functional then you can take it apart for cleaning otherwise I'd recommend fixing whatever the problems are.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look. 

Re functionality, the watch is behaving in exactly the same fashion as my very first post, although not surprising as I haven't really done anything to it other than removing the movement :)

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

I might misunderstand you, but isn't the normal procedure to first service the watch and then (and during the service) do the fault finding in case the problems remain? It's an honest question, not an opinion.

Edited by VWatchie

@Maxppp If you have never serviced a watch before I do recommend you practice on something else first, for example a Vostok 2409. It's a stunning timepiece you have there and there's a real risk you'll damage something or lose a part which might become very difficult to replace. There's always a risk, even when you're experienced but with experience you'll learn to minimize the risks.

Best of luck!

• Like 1