Stem fitting

Hello everyone, I have a bit of beginers question that'd a appreciate a bit of help with. I just picked up an old Longine from early 20th C and would love to get it running. As it was missing a stem I sourced one on ebay and was hoping to give it a wind just to see where I'm at but am having problems inserting the stem. I turned both screws below the level of the stem in the photo but neither allowed me to incert the stem further. Am i missing something, ie. should i try another screw or might there be another reason why i can't get it in.

Apologies in advance if this is an obvious one, I am very new to watch repair and tinkering.

Thanks in advance

Jean

IMG_8103.JPG

4 hours ago, JeanE said:

Hello everyone, I have a bit of beginers question that'd a appreciate a bit of help with. I just picked up an old Longine from early 20th C and would love to get it running. As it was missing a stem I sourced one on ebay and was hoping to give it a wind just to see where I'm at but am having problems inserting the stem. I turned both screws below the level of the stem in the photo but neither allowed me to incert the stem further. Am i missing something, ie. should i try another screw or might there be another reason why i can't get it in.

Apologies in advance if this is an obvious one, I am very new to watch repair and tinkering.

Thanks in advance

Jean

IMG_8103.JPG

the stem may be rusted on the crown gear inside.

Iam sorry but most responses seem to be about removing the stem but correct me if iam wrong OP said it was missing a stem and he got a new one from eBay. The stem in the picture I will assume is the new one he is trying to put in. The screw HSL mentioned is the correct screw but if after a couple turns you can’t insert and/or it won’t stay in after screwing that screw back in then I will assume the keyless works are locked and to unlock them you will need to take the dial off.

Edited by saswatch88

Many thanks for all the help and apologies for the delay in responding. I managed to get the appropriate sized screwdriver and did as vinn3 suggested to great effect. This allowed me to slide in the stem and lock it. I was now able to move the hands. However...

when i try to wind  the stem it immediately springs back the exact amount i have wound.

Also the lower screw in the photo [with the arrow around it] has come loose, I presume i over did it when i opened it previously and have now dislodged the connecting part.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love your feedback, as a novice i do not wish to damage this watch so if you think it best to begin on a lesser models and leave this to the pros i would happily hear this too.

If the mainspring unwinds back through the stem then the click may have failed. On these earlier longines the click spring is concealed under the barrel bridge. 

Loose screw - most likely you loosened the bolt screw to far and it has fallen out. Remedy - remove dial to reveal bolt (aka setting lever and hold static while you reinsert the stew again). 

• Like 1