Can extraction gassoline disolve shelac?

7 hours ago, jdrichard said:

Lighter fluid is the best, most available and cheap

Surely  is not "the best", it is not reccomended by any school.or manufacturer, in short it is not an horological product. Of course it is on books that are 70 years old as they didi not had any better then. And about being cheap itay seem when you by 125cc, try comparing per liter to motor gasoline and petroleum ether. 

In the Netherlands we call car petrol "benzine", 95 or 98.
I just use isopropanol, recommended by a watchmakerfriend.

Isopropanol will soften and wash away the shellac. Take care with the balance and pallet fork. Just a quick dip of a few seconds, then straight onto watch paper to take off the excess, then use a puffer to dry the critical areas where the shellac bonds on the jewels.

After 4 years using lighter fluid and thinking I was getting parts clean, I now use Elma watch cleaning product. Amazing how I fooled myself about how clean was clean. Also, try an ultrasonic which are very cheap nowadays.

In general, IPA (isopropyl alcohol)is not a good cleaner, but is good for the final fine rinse if done quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Deggsie said:

Isopropanol will soften and wash away the shellac. Take care with the balance and pallet fork. Just a quick dip of a few seconds, then straight onto watch paper to take off the excess, then use a puffer to dry the critical areas where the shellac bonds on the jewels.

After 4 years using lighter fluid and thinking I was getting parts clean, I now use Elma watch cleaning product. Amazing how I fooled myself about how clean was clean. Also, try an ultrasonic which are very cheap nowadays.

In general, IPA (isopropyl alcohol)is not a good cleaner, but is good for the final fine rinse if done quickly.

@DeggsieHappily I only use  it for a quick dip...do you use the Elma cleaning product for  balance and pallet fork too?

On 6/7/2020 at 7:09 PM, markr said:

Manual states that gas is used as a rinse not as a cleaner.

It is a good rinse for an ammonia based solution bath but when it comes to soften old lubricants petrol is the most effective.

Of course do not expect it to brighten metal when used alone. 

[mention=4300]Deggsie[/mention]Happily I only use  it for a quick dip...do you use the Elma cleaning product for  balance and pallet fork too?

Yes. Elma WF pro is safe with shellac.