New bench

transporter

Well from working on a shabby chic table and using a chest of drawers for storage for the last 6 years I have been hankering a new work space, the garage was first option. All the plans were in place, pricing for lining and insulating etc etc, then the new 2 seater arrived and now lives in garage so watch work shop put on hold.
So back to old table again, an Internet search a good while ago I found a site that a tinkerer had made a bench from Ikea products. I saved that site and went back to it and searched Ikea and all components were still available, so whilst on this lockdown I ordered the lot and it arrived. 
Now I’m fully organised with no more hunching over the bench.

total cost £247 including delivery, much cheaper than a bench from cousins/horotec etc.

D890ECAE-F38D-4696-97BF-A705ABC8CC84.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks nice but still low for the ideal working position. Either sit lower or make a "riser table" with a matching material. I have used that during a workshop in Switzerland and really liked the idea.

• Like 2

Think it is a very good start, for the most not working all day long by the bench it's probably enough.
But mostly one gets really obsesst when working with watches so then one need a slightly a more ergonomic solution.
The suggestion from jdm is really good but hard to visiualize so i slapp a picture on a raised table, the arm rests can be bought separately so you can later go pro with your very nice bench and raise it up with an extra board  + add the arm rests (some wood working skills are needed to cut out the arm rest positions) .
But as I said think it has a stellar look right now and probabbly satisfies all your needs. Good work.
57405492_Watchmakersbench.jpg.d6b8e43c17bac5d75d132877aba27dcb.jpg 

As for the height it sits 1mtr at its lowest setting, with the chair half way down my chin is just off the bench so it’s plenty high enough for working with, if i raise my seat it brings me to a nice height to use the lathe without stooping either.
As for being at the bench all day, trust me I have been and it’s perfect for me in the comfort department so no worries there.

3 hours ago, HSL said:

The suggestion from jdm is really good but hard to visiualize so i slapp a picture on a raised table, the arm rests can be bought separately so you can later go pro with your very nice bench and raise it up with an extra board  + add the arm rests (some wood working skills are needed to cut out the arm rest positions) .

I wasn't suggesting a raisable bench, simply becuase it cost a small fortune, but the second option that you described, that is an add-on for any desk or bench. Pictured the one that I made with my mediocre woodworking skills, which I consider equivalent to a 10 yrs old boy. The one I used in Switzerland didn't even had the slant armrests but worked pretty good anyway. What I like is that it also almost doubles the bench space, while sitting lower just increase the strain on legs. 

P3081272.thumb.JPG.b1f81c530d6cde3bd39b03845b913761.JPG

isn't it amazing watchmakers didn't have these newfangled armrests and got by just fine for years. I feel truly deprived my bench at home doesn't have fancy armrests although come to think of it my bench at work is missing the armrests? On the other hand the bench at work has a nifty button that goes up and down to whatever height you needed to be.

7 hours ago, transporter said:

if i raise my seat it brings me to a nice height to use the lathe without stooping either.

personally for lathe work I find looking down on the work is better than looking into the work. It's where you almost need two separate benches.

9 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

isn't it amazing watchmakers didn't have these newfangled armrests and got by just fine for years. I feel truly deprived my bench at home doesn't have fancy armrests although come to think of it my bench at work is missing the armrests? On the other hand the bench at work has a nifty button that goes up and down to whatever height you needed to be.

personally for lathe work I find looking down on the work is better than looking into the work. It's where you almost need two separate benches.

Yes I too am at a loss at to how watchmakers of old managed without armrests. And to be fair the two watchmakers (1 retired ) that I use don’t use arm rests either just a high bench. Each to their own I suppose but I don’t find a need for them and if I did I could open the two drawers fix something. Up and rest my arms on them.

As for the lathe work, yes I too like to look down at the work, you get a better perspective of the actual job. Which with this bench and chair configuration I can do comfortably.