Timex

Deggsie

I’m not really excited about Timex as a brand. I think it’s the lack of twiddly things called screws, but I’m sure there are guys out there who love them.

I hope I’m not infringing any rules here, but if anyone would like this timex please pm me. I will put your name in a pot and get one of my daughter’s to draw it next Sunday at 5pm. If you are in the Uk, no postage. If you’re overseas I’ll let you know how much postage will be. Just to be clear, I’m giving this watch away. I’ve got a lot of help and knowledge from here and would like to start giving something back every now and again.

Let me know if I’m infringing the rules and I’ll ask for it to be taken down

Keep safe all

King regards
Deggsie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the NAME out of the hat is ........... (imagine drum roll........ continuing on to enhance the suspense)......

ANDY HULL

Please pm me with your address and I’ll post it on to you mate.

Kind regards
Deggsie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 2:11 PM, Deggsie said:

Anyone think this little guy is worth reviving.

The "little guy" in question arrived this morning, thanks @Deggsie so I took a quick look at lunch time.

Nothing major wrong with it so far as I can see, but it needs a click spring, and I'm currently clean out of them.

RIMG0793.thumb.JPG.eb475ce75d3d626630807c207c635aab.JPG
Here is the offending spring. There should be two teeth on the left hand end, but one is missing.

RIMG0794.thumb.JPG.e4c6dfcd1ea7b7069164f3573caa9d9c.JPG

Here is a comparison with the older arrangement of click and the L shaped hole for the "encheapened" more modern version.

I'll have a dig through my scrap movements this evening, but this is a common failure mode for this mechanism, and I'm pretty certain  a I've robbed the click spring from all of the scrap movements already.

@JerseyMo I may need to purchase a couple more of these to get this going and have one for stock.

RIMG0783.thumb.JPG.f7a72c8e03bd840c66bd446fc84fa26a.JPG

Meantime, here for your entertainment are a few more random teardown pictures.

RIMG0788.thumb.JPG.1b750864ad99aca12b9f69801c3f9f49.JPG
Note today's dial protector is sponsored by KitKat.

RIMG0790.thumb.JPG.1d231fbe61c7c777b77ae15ebcbbd23f.JPG

This watch is a front loader from 1979 and interestingly this one is made not in Dundee as a lot of the 1970s watches are but rather, this is one of the early Taiwan versions.

RIMG0791.thumb.JPG.1c0a9409456cb3cbb8100961c3238bc6.JPG

One thing they do seem to have improved on this version is the dial tabs, which are fairly substantial compared with quite a few I have seen.

2 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

unfortunately, I'm out of them too!

No worries. I have a few other options.

s-l1600.jpg
This for example, is coming in the mail. I may sacrifice its click for the greater good. :D

I also may try fabri-cobling together something from click spring wire, as I have a small pile of that which is not currently doing anything useful. A little creative wire bending may be all that is required. It is only a Timex after all, not a Rolex, so a little creativity is permitted I feel. 

@JerseyMo You are of course quite correct, so since it wasn't a suitable donor, I did the decent thing and cleaned and serviced it.

RIMG0951.thumb.JPG.9a8d9a44b633a7a1e7922ec3c80c9f42.JPG

It 'aint no great looker, age hasn't been kind to it (made in 1971),  but at least now it is no longer a biohazard, it keeps time,  and small children don't run away and hide behind the sofa when it enters the room.

RIMG0948.thumb.JPG.88b4e36c4fc041e75b7ccaec20b9df59.JPG

The finished article.

RIMG0947.thumb.JPG.7703c0dc96d83897d8fcadf81758e9ca.JPG

All of the grime removed (with the exception of the etched in thumb print on the dial) crystal polished, you can now see through it once more, a quick rub down to remove the polish and hey presto. Perfect... well as perfect as it is ever likely to get. 

RIMG0946.thumb.JPG.b6dba58b87358967f2dd50824266c1b8.JPG

If patina is your thing, then this should hit the spot. Optional thumbprint (not mine) on the bottom left.

I recall they came with a leather strap. You know the expression timing is everything?  well just a month ago I had a replacement dial for that watch.  Gave it away and now I can't even remember to who.  Guess my memory is getting just as patina-ed as that dial :)

10 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

Guess my memory is getting just as patina-ed as that dial

I know the feeling... Now where did I put my glasses... One sec while I put on my glasses to go looking form my glass.... err... hang on a second, what was I doing?