Watch dial

Hi all. I recently purchased a Leonidas Bidynator automatic watch to restore. I have repaired and serviced the movement and polished the case but I am not sure what to do with the dial. 

It was in very poor condition but a light clean in water revealed small amounts of what looks like silver but the rest has worn off leaving just base brass. 

my question is, is this silver the same as a clock dial and could be resilvered using resilvering powder or would I be better off painting it. 

I have attached a picture of what I believe to be the same watch in good condition. 

as usual many thanks in advance. 

E21C5002-3F12-43C2-98B0-76427EA44BDC.png

Edited by Specializedjim
Added photo

The dial is in a bad way. You can't re-silver that dial, looks like the numbers are fixed, you could have it restored but that will be expensive. Your best bet is to look for a replacement dial. You could look on the various suppliers sites or try ebay.  I also note the hour wheel is missing. 

Thanks for your help. Yes your right it is bad and from what I can see it’s also quite rare.  Can you answers the following for me please. 

You said the numbers are fixed and I already noted they are not pinned through the dial. So are they glued?

If I could get the numerals off and polish the dial to a good state could I resilver (do you think that’s what it was originally) or would paint be better. 

well spotted on the hour wheel I already have a spare. 

many thanks for your help. 

You say it is quite rare. I would have it restored by professionals. I'm not sure how the numbers are fixed. I have only re-silvered Long Case Clock dials which is fairly easy with the right materials.  

Hi again

I have had ago at restoring the dial using spray paint and a ink jet printed numerals etc. I think I will have another go at it now that I have a better idea of what I’m doing but I think it looks ok for a first attempt. Also the completely knackered movement I repaired seems to be going well so overall I’m happy with my efforts for a £20 punt. Let me know what you think. Many thanks for all the help received. 

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now, redo it, but take lots of photos/video and repost as a how-to. I feel like dial refinishing is one of those semi-lost arts. They were cheap/unloved, and so were either parted or tossed, and anything with any value was done professionally. Dial refinishing needs to stage a serious comeback in the DIYverse.

• Like 1

Hi again
I have had ago at restoring the dial using spray paint and a ink jet printed numerals etc. I think I will have another go at it now that I have a better idea of what I’m doing but I think it looks ok for a first attempt. Also the completely knackered movement I repaired seems to be going well so overall I’m happy with my efforts for a £20 punt. Let me know what you think. Many thanks for all the help received. 

image.thumb.jpg.67af186f24fee63e64dc63bb0e48f377.jpg
WOW !!! great job ...
I've been "playing with dials" for some years now and I'm amazed how quickly you did that ... congrats !!!
Now your oldie looks like a 4925 ...
8cf1f7644db8e71d9bd7d9f1bc67418a.jpg

Envoyé de mon moto g(7) power en utilisant Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2020 at 6:18 PM, spectre6000 said:

Now, redo it, but take lots of photos/video and repost as a how-to. I feel like dial refinishing is one of those semi-lost arts. They were cheap/unloved, and so were either parted or tossed, and anything with any value was done professionally. Dial refinishing needs to stage a serious comeback in the DIYverse.

Very true! And this is the reason why I am here on the board to find ways to fix my dial of Omega 155.006, but haven't found a solution yet

• 1 year later...