My New Camera ... Err, I Mean Phone ... No No, I Mean Camera!!

Well, I've gone and done it! :pulling-hair-out:

After years and years of refusing to buy a stinkin mobile contraption, I've succumb to the allure of the darkside.

I need a more portable camera for work, to take reference photos ... something with a high megapixel rating and good macro zooming.  I didn't want to be lugging around a DSLR to work everyday; and beside, there isn't enough room at my workstation for one.

Let me tell ya though, this padawan's resistances was strong.  Spent about 10+ hours researching my opinions, as I was hoping someone out there made just an MP3 Player with a decent camera; but alas, they don't.  Looked at the iTouch, but it's zoom and picture quality totally sucks.  Looked at the Samsung Galaxy Player: same!  iRiver,SanDisk, Zune ... you name it, they all take disgusting photos when it comes to macro zooming.  In ALL the research I did, only one device kept coming up, and fitting the bill ... the Sony Xperia Z3.  The Sony Xperia Z3 Compact to be specific.

post-246-0-86304100-1422883581_thumb.jpg

The camera specs are impressive to say the least, and make the iPhone and Galaxy look every lame in comparison:

• 20.7 MP camera with Sony Exmor RS™ for mobile image sensor
  • 8x Digital Zoom
  • 25 mm Wide-angle Sony G Lens
  • Background Defocus Option
  • BIONZ Processing Engine
  • High frame rate - 120 fps - (So you can create clear slow-motion footage of the Balance and Fork running if needed ... very cool indeed!)

It also has a BUTTON on the far right-hand side of the case to work the camera (just like a normal camera) ... you don't have to use the touch screen ... THANK YOU SONY!

So on the weekend I trotted down to the local electrical super-duper store to check it out.  And I was sold!

The macro zoom is so good you can see dirt particles in-between your fingerprints! :o

It's got a Mini SD Card slot, that can accommodate up to a 128Gb card ... so you'll never run out of storage for photos, music, movies ... blah blah blah.

Also, taking about music, it plays every digital format, including all the new 24BIT Hi-Rez formats like FLAC.

Oh, and it also recharges wirelessly like an electric toothbrush!  Just place it on a circular pad, and bingo!

post-246-0-35420600-1422883583_thumb.jpg

The darkside was just too alluring, sorry Yoda!  I brought one!

Well done for resisting so long Lawson, and that camera sound awesome. I was like that about ten years ago, but gave in when my mum started to go down hill and I had to be contactable.

My first mobile was a wee Sony with 2MP camera and it was a little cracker. Superb camera and so small you were hard pushed to work out what pocket it was in. I then changed it for a larger Sony with more mega pixies and great camera, the only problem it was totally unreliable and a piece of junk. It lasted two days! I exchanged it for the phone I liked best, a Nokia N86. Brilliant camera and real buttons, it just wasn't great for surfing the web, not that that bothered me.

Along came Christmas last year and daughter treated herself to a new IPhone 6. She then gave me her old 5 for my Christmas, great for surfing the web, but what a pile of sh#t€. The trouble is I feel compelled to use seeing as she gave me it. I just really want to reinstate my old Nokia.

Congratulations Lawson, and welcome to the dark side...your camera features are more powerful than mine (Samsung Galaxy S5)...if they were light sabers you would have won already! :)

...OK, that's what I call beautiful pictures Geo! How do you manage?

Cheers,

Bob

Wow - can I play?

Here is a pic done on my old iPhone 3GS - made a silver casting of a plastic earring for fun.

post-1-0-56412100-1422980711_thumb.jpg

Trip to Kenya taken on a Nokia N95

post-1-0-05952200-1422980930_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-71614800-1422980969_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-61426300-1422981012_thumb.jpg

Trip to BBC studios taken on an old Windows Mobile (iPaq style) phone.

post-1-0-54355500-1422981201_thumb.jpg

I still want my Nokia back! :)

The camera on the N95 was very good, but the camera on the iPhone 5S has some amazing features including HDR which actually does a reasonable job or sorting out the peaks and the troughs.

And I took this one on a Samsung Galaxy Note when I was in Market Rasen:

post-1-0-82509100-1423051344_thumb.jpg