Watch part drawings

I've seen a lot of old and deteriorated drawings for movements and some rather unsuccessful attempts to either recreate the drawing or draw the part from scratch. I've also see a good number of CAD drawings for current movements and wondered how hard it would be to take a part, without any drawing and draw it based only on measurements. And then I thought why stop at a flat drawing and model it in 3D. And then I got distracted by a squirrel. 

Finally I decided to give one part a whirl.

One wheel, about three hours, but that last hour was playing with the lighting and surfaces. I'd hate to do a complete 3D rendering of a moonphase chrono. :o 

4thwheel.jpg

• Like 2

It's an old 3D animation program called TrueSpace. It used to be a paid product, but it went to a freeware model around 2008. The rights were eventually bought by Microsoft who immediately killed and buried it. It's free to use if you can find it, but there's Zero support and it gets a little quirky. I still like it better than Fusion360 for rendering.

I still have the 7.61 installer if anyone wants to play with it.

2020-05-14 (1).png

• Like 1