Balance roller pin and passing hollow not aligned (Timex Viscount)

'67 Timex Viscount Automatic

In trying to determine the cause of a lousy 80° amplitude on an ebay purchase, one of the things I noticed (or maybe caused) is that the safety roller and passing hollow rotate freely and don't align with the roller pin. This has made it exceedingly difficult to align with my pallet fork.

As I'm becoming proficient in leaving watches worse off, I'm wondering if there's a way to correct this without replacing the balance wheel (good one shown on right). I don't have the skills to remove the wheel from the hairspring and then replace with the new one, nor the equipment to see what I'm doing.

Short of a mini-drop of super-glue on the back, any suggestions? Thanks! - j

P1180615.jpeg

8 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

I'm assuming if you grab the safety roller and rotate that it rotates freely? then when it rotates is it rotating on the balance staff or is the entire balance staff rotating?

It appears the safety roller is rotating freely. Not only that, but it appears to be lifting up. Looks like I'm going to need to align it and then tap it down, all with improvised/improper tools. Perhaps this is something I can use the pin-pusher/extractor that came with my watch repair kit, because then I could go slowly (and practice lining things up with my good wheel)...?

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 9.02.40 AM.png

• Like 1

And... the lower collar (and hairspring) slipped off, which is good because if it did it made it easier to push the balance staff down to a better depth (using the pin pusher) and then eventually sliding it back on. Didn't look like I messed up the spring and everything seems aligned right. Now I just need to put it back together...