Vintage Watch Bench Restore

JerseyMo

One of the things about my interest in time pieces is the long and rich history. so what better way to get a sense of it than to sit at a true watchmakers bench. 

Here is where it begins -  all the draws are to the right.  The shelf is not original and you can see the back has been cut out.

The lower door doesn't look correct either.  Most noticeable damage is that many of the joints need to be re-glued. I will start with giving it a good wash with wood cleaner.

bench.jpg.0e1fd01f83fdbff6d8c51cd2addc0cdd.jpg

And here it is after a good scrubbing, See how the wood has already become lighter in color.

- that board will be what I use to repair the back panel.

cleaned.jpg.28d4dff1462a3311809393a73df90eba.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Mo  Its beginning to look like somebody loves it 100 % better for the washdown

it is looking better and each task gets it closer to getting it back to work. two draws done today and I cleaned up one joint in preparation for re-glue.

That's pretty much a dead ringer for the bench I dragged over with me from the states. I found a top here with the slanted arm rests that fit pretty much perfectly and got the height to a usable level (the old school U.S. benches are too low for me in general, I'm 6'). It's been my main bench since I struck out on my own- and I love how European watchmakers react to it!

You'll get a lot of good use out of that.

using a liquid stripper was moving super slow so I got more aggressive today with sanders.  Much faster!

Hopefully tomorrow is nice weather and I should be able to finish all the sanding.  The wood will than be oil treated and waxed. Well that is the plan anyway :) 

next.jpg

• Like 2

All done and it came out just as I thought.  Still showing the scars of years of use but, no longer will all the dirt and grime. :)  

...now the real task of having to reorganize the watch room.

done.jpg

Edited by JerseyMo
  • Like 6