Balance stops with dial side up

That’s a relevant concern. And if you’re a pro charging money for what you do for others, l’m all with you. Unless you clearly explain the choises and related costs.

But as a way of finding out the underlying cause for a hard to diagnose problem, I still find this a good idea and would really like something similar for the non-shock proof movements I often fight with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a bad trick to know and will become a good option if the piece you are working on is not worth the pain or cost of rebuilding a  balance complete.

If worn out and short, pivot is undoubtedly can use a polish in an expensive watch.

I'm only 17 so money is limited. This trick saved me a lot of problems. Changing the balance staff would be a pretty convenient skill though.. :) Thanks for all the help!! Keeps excellent time now :)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There you are, tech sheet courtesy of our data sheet man watchweasol.If you suspect that staff cone is rubbing on jewel setting collet like HSL points out, I flip the end stone over to face the dome side of end stone towards pivot, this in effect compensates for the wear portion of the pivot, saves you the trouble of staffing and building a balance complete. Works fine, I don't know if the approach is frowned upon in scholastic teachings or is acceptable, but works for a good ten years. Good luck.

Great tip my friend. But I do like making balance staffs:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1