Can anyone help with info on this movement please?

eezy

This clock was liberated from the Belsen WW2 prison camp by my father. He was one of the first into Belsen and this clock was in the Commandant's quarters. There is a note somewhere, currently mislaid, from within the clock which contains Commandant Kramer's name. It sat on the mantelpiece at my Father's and worked everyday up until about 2006. I think it is an 8day movement.

The movement is signed Kohler and the case  has Berchtesgaden and Bergen on it. I cannot find any info at all onthe 'net.

clock5.JPG

clock6.JPG

clock7.JPG

• Like 1

I dont know what information you are looking for but your clock is by Christian Kohler GmbH they manufactured clock cases from 1913, they did not produce their own movements, and bought and cased these from other makers and signed them under their own name the movement in your clock is by a company called Friedrich Mauthe there may or may not be a Mauthe trademark stamped on the clock this would be a eagle with the letter F M S in a circle your clock would be pre war and date to the 1930's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The movement is an 8 day bim bam sometimes called a ting tang  with rack striking. It has an anchor escapement. I can’t add any more info about the manufactured movement, wls1971 has said it all.

I have been to Berchtesgaden in the Bavarian Alps. That is where Hitler had his Eagles Nest retreat. I have also been inside many of the underground bunkers, fascinating place.

• Thanks 1

Gents, thank you both for the information, exactly what I wanted.

With the name Mauthe, I have been able to find a wealth of information. Not so with Kohler though, there seems to be very little about. Hence I have not been able to find a link to Berchtesgaden and can only assume that Kohler had a base there.

Thanks again

• 11 months later...