Seiko Actualis Crystal Replacement

Hi All,

After some advice re replacing the crystal on a Seiko 6016-7040. I have purchased a new, correct, crystal for the watch but it doesnt go straight in the case.

Does the chrome ring shown in the case pic need to come out? Its really in there, but could have been glued in? 

Unfortunately i cant remember what the old crystal looked like that came out of it but im sure it was just a flat crystal as well, so a bit perplexed.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers!

20200509_100921.jpg

20200509_103123.jpg

Hi when you say it doesnt fit, in what way ,is it slack in the case or too tight, If it slack it might be because the gasket is missing from the case. This makes the watertight seal with the case and the crystal when it is pressed in.  I take it you have a crystal press for the job?. 

I'm having a problem relating the description and model number that you have posted to any Seiko watch.....'Actualis' is a Tissot specific model description and Seiko 6016 movements are usually in dress watches with the 'Advan' sub model being prevalent but the '7040' case reference appears to be specifically for the early divers watches, i.e. 6309-7040..... .....The crystal shown in your picture appears to be a 3mm hardlex crystal for such a diver's watch and not what would fit in the 'dress' Advan case.....do you have the wrong crystal?

Can you clarify?

Yep, that'll learn me writing posts in a hurry. Its in fact an Seiko 5 'Actus' (i also have a Tissot Actualis hence the mix up), code 6106 7480.

The crystal i purchased was advertised as specifically for that watch, although i must confess i still cant see how its going to fit. That metal inner ring seems to be in the way.

Going to have another look later. Will report back!

20200510_114828.jpg

20200510_104309.jpg

27 minutes ago, MattWatch said:

Yep, that'll learn me writing posts in a hurry. Its in fact an Seiko 5 'Actus' (i also have a Tissot Actualis hence the mix up), code 6106 7480.

The crystal i purchased was advertised as specifically for that watch, although i must confess i still cant see how its going to fit. That metal inner ring seems to be in the way.

Going to have another look later. Will report back!

20200510_114828.jpg

20200510_104309.jpg

Definitely NOT the correct crystal! According to 'Boley' you need crystal number 300V20GN

specifically you will need 300V20GNS0 as your watch has a stainless case, it is an acrylic crystal with a tension ring and is not a thick Hardlex crystal......(NOT 300V20GNG as it has a gold tension ring).....
Edited by JohnD

Okaaay, now i get it!! Thanks for providing that part number, using which i was able to find an image of the original crystal for this model watch. This clearly showed that not all aspects of the crystal 'unit' had come out with the crystal (ive never seen a crystal like that before). It all makes sense now!

Thanks very much all :)

1 hour ago, MattWatch said:

Okaaay, now i get it!! Thanks for providing that part number, using which i was able to find an image of the original crystal for this model watch. This clearly showed that not all aspects of the crystal 'unit' had come out with the crystal (ive never seen a crystal like that before). It all makes sense now!

Thanks very much all :)

Looking at your pictures again I guessed that the rim of the original crystal and the tension ring were still in the case...

I think that you will get an unpleasant shock when you find out just how scarce that crystal is and how much the very few examples that appear to be available are up for sale for...:startle:

Your best bet might be to use a generic acrylic crystal and mate it to the existing tension ring.......

Edited by JohnD