Hello And Greeting From Kuala Lumpur

Affnan

Hi, I am few days fresh as a member here. New to watch repairing relearning myself from skill that I learn more that 30 years ago on repairing precision instrumentation in aeroplane but never manage to practice due to the solid state electronics revolution has completely change the aviation equipment by storm. Even the clock are now electronics.

It is my hobby on repairing engines of cars and bikes but age is cropping up, decide to relearn watch repair and going about repairing items on the smaller end of the scale. From what I read and little I experienced, I can say it is just as satisfying and rewarding as any work on bigger machines.

I frequently travel within Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand, looking for bargain pieces that now I am learning to repair as it is expensive to send to shops.

Currently as initial project, I overhauling a Longines Cal 12.68z from 1950"s era with a damage escape wheel.

Cheers

Affnan

Welcome Affnan, glad to have you here. You'll find this, a very friendly place where we all contribute with what we can. Some members are very experienced and others, like me, are beginners. Please post pictures of your Longines overhaul if you have a chance. It would be very interesting to see your solutions and the final result!

Cheers,

Bob

A warm welcome to the forum from Scotland Affnan.

Your interests in cars, bikes and aircraft mirror my interests through the years that also ended up with watch repairing. As Bob said, there are great folk on the forum who are always willing to help if they can. I look forward to hearing about your exploits. :)

Welcome to the forums Affnan,  I'm afraid not being able to do what we used to do is the price we pay for getting older,  I love messing with cars,  but it is getting harder every passing year.

Watches can be both very rewarding and very frustrating (If you lose a part) but they are never boring and you will never stop learning about watches.

Thanks guys for the welcome.

I am in the process of getting tools and I believe as a start only few basic tools are needed and as the works goes on, then I will get more as required. Posting here help a lot and I'll do much needed reading first before any post.

On the 12.68z project, I manage to get the escape wheel from ebay at a reasonable price after which I'll start on it.

- Affnan

Hi Affnan hope you find the forum as helpful as I have, i'm only learning the basics and finding it more difficult than it used to be, my eyesight is not what it once was. I have friends in PJ and must say I love Petaling street market... have fun and good luck..

regards Nigel

Petaling-Street-9O4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thank for the welcome, just back from a 2 weeks trip to Borneo mainly in Kota Kinabalu (Jesselton) checking a small plane. While there try looking for bargain watches, but what a disappointment... not many and mostly at very high price. My preference are the old swiss movement for collection and seikos to practice.. Jesselton not a good place for watches.

Affnan

P/s Learning to post photos via Tapatalk apps.[emoji1]

59be518bf8e51ae3593cb242756d72aa.jpg

Watch repair, on the sidewalk

73b7a874e1f238cdad65239e85f3548d.jpg

Oris BC3

9067d3b597579c87f0d30abc2f37ec7c.jpg

I think the sea dweller is listed at US5400.00

c9064c7675769385c2b4501b6e707905.jpg

Few Seikos

This is outside a Pawn Shop.