Old Half hunter pocket weatch

Hi, I been working on a half hunter pocket watch, I have serviced this watch and to my surprise there is no pallet fork.

On reassembly the watch runs well considering its age, but the hands "don't move" in 12 hours they moved from 12.00 to 1205

the continues to run happily until the spring runs down. 

I must have disassembled it 4 times trying to find the fault then i noticed the centre wheel (minute wheel) the long pivot was loose

surely this can't be right...My question is how do i correctly secure the pivot. Thanks in advance.

I'm just guessing that this has a pin that goes all the way through the center wheel, and the canon pinion is fitted to this? If so, you will want to give that pin a tap with a punch near its "head", to create a little friction in the center wheel. You can also slightly bend them in the middle but they tend to be fragile.

If it has a classical canon pinion you will need to increase its friction.

4 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

How about showing a close up of what you are dealing with.

there are so many variations of stuff and variations in descriptions it's always nice if we can have a picture to see what you're looking at a wise we can guess.

In order to press the arbor C into the cannon pinion D a staking set is ideal, using a punch or hammer is not the best practice since you will have to support the top of the cannon pinion and press from the head of the arbor, but your support should have a hole big enough for the conical end of the arbor to fit or basically you hammer will sandwich the arbor which will cause it to bend, but if the canon pinion is not seated correctly then you didn’t do anything to solve your problem. The arbor is already slightly bent in order to create a tight fit. Now You can go the other way around but then a punch will be needed with a hole big enough for the canon pinion to fit. If there is a jewel present it should NOT be used as a support. If you have any pegwood you can make yourself a stake. And a staking block out of a piece of wood. Micro drills come in handy here.

70E2BDB6-6203-40FD-AA2C-5EE3613ADA94.png

4BBE2E46-606E-4F91-82CB-08F143E4F776.png

• Like 1