Question about EB 8810 main spring

Hi All

I'm a beginner with a near zero record when it comes to cleaning main springs. I don't have to tools to get them back in and have failed with hand winding.  I have an EB 8810 pin lever.  The MS seems large enough that I may have a better chance with hand winding.  I've not seen a barrel like this where the ratchet wheel is also the lid.  I'm afraid to lift the lid/ratchet lest the spring pops and breaks scoring another zero for my MS work.  Is this something that a beginner can handle?  Can another spring be sourced if needed?  I note that J Borel here in US doesn't have parts for it.

Thank you

Charlie

IMG_4768.thumb.JPG.b66007bab066342b64ae5605744abdfe.JPG

I think you need to learn how to wind the springs in by hand.  I started with a lot of different spring winders and now I do it all by hand.  Perhaps using a spring winder for a very small watch spring.  I did a video on youtube on how to size a spring.

Sizing:

And how to Wind by hand

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jdrichard said:

I started with a lot of different spring winders and now I do it all by hand. 

personally I consider hand winding a spring and absolute last resource. Which unfortunately sometimes has to be done. Then there is a whole lot of choices for mainspring winders not all of them desirable. But once you find the ones you like is no problem using mainspring winders.

25 minutes ago, Lc130 said:

EB 8810 pin lever

one of the problems with pin lever watches is they really weren't meant to be repaired versus non-pin lever typically. This means you're going to have additional challenges that you might not have otherwise. So than rather than lifting straight off which is going to make for a lot of fun as you pull the spring out try turning the ratchet wheel the opposite direction that it normally goes in a little bit. Gently lifting up and may be something flat to go in to hold the spring in place and if you're lucky you can get it to unconnected. That is if my guess of how it goes together is correct. It kinda sounds like a waltham some of their barrels are kinda like this. Otherwise you get to pull straight off because we have no idea how it goes together which also means conceivably will destroy something.

in editing this I have to amend this paragraph which originally said the reason there is no mainspring is because you're not supposed to repair the watch. But it appears to be I may not be exactly correct in that statement. In that there is a parts list and somebody disassembled 1C can look at that at the link below plus it's listed in the mainspring catalog there is a mainspring. Otherwise watch the video and watch the video anyway it should be helpful.

So mainsprings watchmakers are creative we adapt whatever's available especially for measurement. So mainsprings are measured in metric, inches and Dennison and conceivably the package will list all three. Typically on pocket watch springs especially American they can be listed as inches or metric and inches all the same time. So you would need the width of the spring the thickness and the length in that order. Plus if it had an unusual end more common on pocket watches though.  then if you're lazy and don't one of measure there is a catalog cousins has it I believe and I snipped out the page for you.

Then always amusing for me trying to get literature and then sometimes companies that make super cheap watches like quartz watches that cost less than $20 they will proudly promote it could be serviced and give you a tech sheet. So this watch that I would normally never considers servicing has a parts list. Plus a link to somebody who disassembled one unfortunately not the barrel.

ttps://17jewels.info/movements/e/eb/eb-8800/

EB mainspring.JPG

EB_EB 8800etc.pdf

Thank you both.  It appears that this MS is best left alone.  

I'm only a beginner hobbyist.  I tried to assemble some vintage winders from ebay, but the hooks were mainly worn off.  The Bergeon cost would be silly for me.  Is the chinese version worth a try https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000218206338.html.

Pains me as I swore I'd never buy anything chinese again if it could be avoided!

Thank you

Charlie

1 hour ago, Lc130 said:

I'm only a beginner hobbyist

As a beginner it be better to find something else to work on as the pin lever watches have their challenges and did not necessarily have happy outcomes. Then for right now there is no reason to take the mainspring apart unless you like the challenge or think there's some reason why you'd need to like it's filled with super sticky oil or something.

then the Chinese can make decent stuff but also have a habit of making some really cheap stuff. Plus sometimes I don't quite understand what needs to be done to make it decent because nobody's really explain it to them there just visually copying something.

So the set you have the link for his price nice but I'm not sure how suitable it is for general use. I've attached a couple of PDFs the problem is that's not a generic set? That's I weird mix set of eta  and Rolex versus the generic set. The basically the barrel outer diameters will correspond to the watches indicated in the set. Which may not necessarily agree with whatever you're trying to do.

then unfortunately unless you can see the mainspring winders set is not always probably clear on the stuff on eBay whether it still function were not a lot of winders are basically garbage and they weren't necessarily made in China. Then of course it also depends upon what you're doing typically on doing pocket watches for and for that I have an entirely different set that I'm using which works fine for 99% of what I'm doing.

MSW all 7023 A B C-1.pdf MSW eta 7021.pdf