Stereo Microscope

I love quality but IMHO cost must be reasonable for the intended (hobbyst) use. So I'm putting the $32 link anyway :biggrin:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32634442471.html

This is x20 magnification. I can get up to x270 mag with an optional eye piece. X70 in current configuration which is great for looking at wheel teeth, jewels and hairsprings. Plus progressive linear zoom from x20 to x70. I love the well made piece of equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/22/2015 at 5:42 AM, Marc said:

I don't usually use my microscope in general disassembly or reassembly; for that I use a clip on magnifier attached to my glasses that has a lens for each eye so I retain stereo vision.

The microscope comes into its own for inspection, oiling, and hairspring work, where the higher magnification really makes a difference. It's also great for detailed cleaning and restoration on dials partly because of the magnification but also peering down a microscope cuts out all of the peripheral distractions so your total focus is on the job in hand.

I do use a conventional loupe as well but that tends to be for inspection only as I find working without the ability to properly judge distance is less than ideal. Also, I work at desk height rather than bench height (something that I have to sort out as it's not so good for my back) which means that I am above the work, where the screw drivers need to be, so higher magnification loupes (with correspondingly closer working distances) are less than practical. As and when I eventually get a bench sorted out loupes may become a more viable proposition. What I have in mind is to have the working surface more or less at shoulder height when I am sitting upright. This would place the work in front of my eyes not below so there would be no competition for space with tools.

I'm glad that I continued reading this thread. I almost bought a stereo microscope for general disassembly And reassembly work. So then can you give me more information on your clip on magnifiers? I now use a loupe but would rater have stereo and a bigger field of view. Thanks for saving me some big bucks.. 

• Like 1

@martygene at the time I made that post I was using a 3x clip on magnifier by Eschenbach same as this . Not the cheapest available at about £45 to £55 but very good. They have become a little scuffed since then but do still get used occasionally.

P1080319.thumb.JPG.e0713ddc3942b74dc438b67566b34999.JPG

The biggest issue I have with them is that my spectacle lenses partially counter the magnification.

I have since acquired a vintage Binomag head set.

P1080316.thumb.JPG.3c03d6ba59d07b62b32bed3edeffc009.JPG

P1080317.thumb.JPG.9de7d40ea86966f7ffe0bcb73cbc10d1.JPG

These can be picked up off eBay for between £15 - £25, the lenses are glass so don't scratch too easily, and are very comfortable to use. These are also about 3X mag but because I can use them without my specs I get the full benefit.

Working distance for both the Binomags and the Eschenbachs is about 100mm (4") and width of field about 8cm (a little less with the Eschenbachs).

I now also work at a bench the top of which is at upper chest height when I'm seated so posture issues are a thing of the past too.

My microscopes sit on a desk next to the bench so they are also at a much more useable height.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Im interested too especially any good info about microscopes. Id like to be able to see the work and archive the work on my computer. Any good and cost efficient equipment out there? I also wasnt able to open the link

There are some topics in this subject already, better take a look at those.
The price most often reflects the quality but all depends what you will do with it.
You might find some nice ones in the link below..

I've seen these and have wondered if they'd make for a decent Youtube tool. The descriptions I've seen leave some uncertainty as to how exactly they work. Does anyone know whether the magnification is merely variable by altering the focus (changing the working distance and magnification as a consequence)?

Regards,

I've seen these and have wondered if they'd make for a decent Youtube tool. The descriptions I've seen leave some uncertainty as to how exactly they work. Does anyone know whether the magnification is merely variable by altering the focus (changing the working distance and magnification as a consequence)?

Regards,

That was my concern too. On the short research ive done, it seems most of the cheaper scopes sacrifice that working space for magnification. Yes it will magnify but its better suited for a science class maybe

If I didn't have a microscope already, this is what I would get.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_Bf9BlrRT

Get a 10X eyepiece, a 0.7X - 4.5X zoom objective lens. If you want to increase the working length, get a 0.33X or 0.5X auxillary lens. You'll sacrifice some magnification for for the increase in working length. But it'll be more than enough for watch repair work.

• Like 1