What crystal do I need?

Hi All

I'm a beginner.  I have a diver style Caravelle in need of a crystal.  The opening is 29.5.  The walls are flat.  Does this need a tension ring crystal?  Do I order 29.5 or a larger size?  If it has a second hand (this does) is it always hi-dome?  Is this installed with a crystal press or lift claw?

Thank you

Charlie

I will suggest getting a GS Diver Tite crystal with tension ring if the old crystal had one which iam sure it did. If not you just remove the ring. This crystal needs to be installed with a press because these crystals are pressure fitted. Whatever you do m, do NOT go any bigger, i usually like to go .1 smaller. So 29.4 i will recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just want add... are you using a digital caliper? If so round down. Example if its 29.56 you can get a 29.5 just make sure you get it lined up and even before you put it on the press. If it is not sitting even with the case when you press you will expand it and possibly make a nick in one of the edges thus making it near impossible to press back in, or it may not seat and damage the ring. As long as you are not crazy about waterproofing i will suggest again .1 or even .2mm smaller since you are new at it. Glue is also always and option. UV glue is best and you will need a UV light, i use a $20 ebay uv light for curing womens nails works like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does look like it would be for a tension ring crystal. 

If you were buying a European crystal, then you would select the next size up. I’ve never heard of buying a size smaller - suggests the measurements are made differently in the US. The European measurements are exact, so you need a slightly larger size for an interference fit. 

48 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Tension ring jumps out of place every time I use a crystal lift to put in an armoured crystal, Do I need a press tool? TIA.

Yes a press tool is definitely needed for armoured crystal

I use a Robur press and a set of aluminium dies like these:Die Set, Robur

I find the new Robur presses are pretty rubbish, as they are too light and don't even sit on the bench without wobbling, but the older cast Robur press is the business!

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Jon
  • Thanks 1