Tinkerer dipping toes

JayS

Hello everyone!

As a handyman/tinkerer, my first delve into timepiece repair was a friend's grandfather clock. The wonder of hearing it working again sent me down a rabbit hole of watch repair videos and the love of something based on mechanics that can be logically understood and followed, versus the mystery hidden behind microchips. I'll be getting my first respectable watch as a wedding gift, though I'm not sure how much the virus is going to delay it!

Looking forward to learning. - Jay

as a young boy,   rumageing in grandmas' attic,  i found a large mantle clock.   " it had not worked in years"   she said,;  just by luck, i fixed it.  as i recall,  the flat spring holding the  pengulum fell off.  i used a paper clip to hold it on.    when she was not looking,  i placed it on the fireplace mantle.   "THAT DOSENT WORK" !   as she got closer,  heard it ticking.   the entire family was surprised.  vin

8 hours ago, JayS said:

Hello everyone!

As a handyman/tinkerer, my first delve into timepiece repair was a friend's grandfather clock. The wonder of hearing it working again sent me down a rabbit hole of watch repair videos and the love of something based on mechanics that can be logically understood and followed, versus the mystery hidden behind microchips. I'll be getting my first respectable watch as a wedding gift, though I'm not sure how much the virus is going to delay it!

Looking forward to learning. - Jay

Welcome. Do you know what kind of watch you will be receiving? Congrats on your future wedding!

15 hours ago, Hopgoblin said:

Welcome. Do you know what kind of watch you will be receiving? Congrats on your future wedding!

A Tissot gentleman powermatic with a blue face and bracelet. Originally, I was drawn to the Oris pointer-date, but that fell out of budget this year and the Tissot looks like a solid everyday watch. 

What I've been struck by is the difference between the gorgeous macro photos and videos of watches and how they look to my 55 year old eyes. Just can't appreciate the detail without a loupe, other than knowing it's there.

And thank you!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, vinn3 said:

as a young boy,   rumageing in grandmas' attic,  i found a large mantle clock.   " it had not worked in years"   she said,;  just by luck, i fixed it.  as i recall,  the flat spring holding the  pengulum fell off.  i used a paper clip to hold it on.    when she was not looking,  i placed it on the fireplace mantle.   "THAT DOSENT WORK" !   as she got closer,  heard it ticking.   the entire family was surprised.  vin

The grandfather clock simply had the weight cables get cross/tangled on their spiral-grooved cylinders during a slight move. Very obvious. At that point, I had no idea how clocks or watches worked!

• Like 1