No idea at all...

Hello guys and gals !

My name is Daniel and Iam a bus driver based in Ireland.

I was always dreaming about watches,they little clockworks and how they move fascinated me. My first repair attempt was at age 5 when I tried to fix my da russian watch Poliot with a hammer.This didn't end up well for the watch and definitely didn't end up well for me.

Now fast forward 40 years I still have that urge to fix/refurbish watches. Iam a guy with no knowledge about watches whatsoever. I've seen some you tube videos and read some guidelines and...that's all.

Anyway I bought some basic tools and I'm willing to have a go cos the Covid 19 lockdown shortened my work week and I have more spare time in my hands.

It all looks quite complicated for me, and most of you probably spend years fixing watches so I'm kindly asking for any advice and encouragement.

Just a quick question what watch would be the easiest to fix/refurbish for a noob? 

Cheers.

Hi Daniel      and thank you for your introduction, welcome to the forum.   The place to start is where you began  Age 5,  with the Russian movements, They can be picked up off ebay for a fewpounds/Euros they are robust and should you slip up and make a mess of it there is no great financial loss.  I have attached a couple of PDFs to get you started. hope ypu find them informative.             Cheers

tzhome2.js.download TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you can find a broken or used watch based on an ETA 6497 or 6498 or a Chinese clone of that movement (Seagull ST36) it would be a good place to start. The movement is on the larger size and without many complications.

Edited by eccentric59
  • Thanks 1

Hi Danthepolak,

I always endorse start big and start simple. The other guys here have already given you some really good advice. Russian watches are easy and cheap to come by and the watch glossary that watchweasol has posted will be invaluable to get to know what the parts are called and where they go.

I always start my students on an ETA 6497 clone, which in fact is a Chinese clone of a Chinese clone. Seagull ST 36 (https://www.seagullwatchcompany.com/collections/watches/products/seagull-coffee-dial-st36-movement-mechanical-watch-819-77-5000) is a clone of this watch, then other makers cloned Seagull's clone, if that makes sense. You can pick them up for about £45-55 brand new, so no one else has been screwing around with the mechanics of it!

Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/44mm-Corgeut-black-sterile-dial-luminous-6497-hand-winding-movement-mens-watch/124169029824?hash=item1ce90d08c0:g:FXgAAOSwGYhb59ue

I've bought many off this buyer myself.

If you want to buy something cheaper, just look for joblots of mechanical watches on eBay, but they'll probably will be smaller movement sizes and I find starting on something that is pocket watch size will give you more confidence to tackle other watches that are smaller later on. That's just my take on it. Once you get the bug for it, they'll be no stopping you.

One thing I will advise you to stay away from are Timex and pin pallet watches. Not that I've got anything against them, far from it, it's just that you might find them frustrating to work on, as they are on the cheaper side of watch movements and working on that kind of bridge to get all those pivots lined up is a make or break moment for some. Personally, I am starting to like them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jon said:

I always start my students on an ETA 6497 clone, 

@Jon, do you run online classes?

I'm new to this hobby too and just joined the forum 2 days ago, it is such a niche industry where the information of watch making is not easily available.

I'm after short courses for a complete novice.

8 hours ago, Billa84 said:

@Jon, do you run online classes?

I'm new to this hobby too and just joined the forum 2 days ago, it is such a niche industry where the information of watch making is not easily available.

I'm after short courses for a complete novice.

Hi Billa84,

I teach beginner's watchmaking to novices at EFHC http://efhc.org.uk/wordpress/ in Essex and have recently started online courses to my students due to the lock-down, but I'm not taking on anyone new, as we are over halfway through the curriculum at the moment and only doing it online because of the present circumstances.

As watchweasol has pointed out, Mark does an online course, per se, where you can follow the videos he has posted as part of the course. I haven't done them myself, but I have a student that has and he said they were quite informative, so maybe check it out.

Alternatively, if you are close to Essex, then maybe consider joining us for the beginning of the new term in September?

15 hours ago, Jon said:

Alternatively, if you are close to Essex, then maybe consider joining us for the beginning of the new term in September?

unfortunately I based in Australia :(

or else I would definitely like to join as there is no watch making classes offered here...I've look everywhere..

Hi Where about in Aussie are you  one of our members Tmuir is in Perth and is a member of a guild may be worth Giving him a PM and get a few details.  The British Horological Institute do distance learning courses, might be worth and enquiry                

On 5/3/2020 at 12:56 AM, watchweasol said:

Hi Where about in Aussie are you  one of our members Tmuir is in Perth and is a member of a guild may be worth Giving him a PM and get a few details.  The British Horological Institute do distance learning courses, might be worth and enquiry                

I'm from Canberra, the only watch lesson being offered is a 3 years course with Tafe but this is more for someone who want to pursue their career as watch maker.

will do i will ping @Tmuir

Just sent you a PM Billa84, unfortunately I don't know of anything in Canberra, but if you don't mind flying to Perth 3 times a year for 2 weeks each they will run intensive courses for you. I've sent you all the details in the PM.

1 hour ago, Tmuir said:

but if you don't mind flying to Perth 3 times a year for 2 weeks each they will run intensive courses for you. 

I was flown a couple of times to Perth for few days, lovely town to visit. At the time the AUD was its high which made it expensive, like the rest of Australia, for Europeans. Now it's the opposite, but very little chances that I will be summoned again.

That being said I really believe that in person training, even in light of the present and possibly future situation, doesn't make much sense anymore. The HD course by Mark, the many more videos, the even more books make watchmaking a great subject to self learn.