Hands won't move?

Hello

Yesterday I cleaned and oiled a certina waterking. There was a lot of gunk in the movement that prevented it from running, but after cleaning and oiling the movement it was running perfectly, but for some reason the hour hand and minute hand doesn't move sometimes. My hypothesis is that I put too much oil between the centerwheel pivot and the Canon pinion... Could that be true? 

More likely the canon pinion needs tightening. Is the seconds hand moving normally, and how loose does the crown feel when setting the hands? It shouldn't feel too loose. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Marc said:

More likely the canon pinion needs tightening. Is the seconds hand moving normally, and how loose does the crown feel when setting the hands? It shouldn't feel too loose. 

Yes, setting the watch is very loose. It has sub seconds and the second hand tics as it should. How do you tighten the Canon pinion? Just press it harder on the centerwheel? 

Make sure you put a piece of brass wire in the canon pinion, roughly the same size as the inside diameter of the pipe, just a tad smaller, to make sure you don't crush it too small when adjusting it with nail clippers or a canon pinion tool on you staking set

• Like 1

If you do press it too tight, you'll know, because setting the hands will be really stiff, then you'll need to broach the pipe of the canon pinion out a little to increase the size that you tightened too much

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bopmd said:

Just press it harder on the centerwheel?

Nope!!

1661067943_canonpinion.thumb.jpg.50da8b0c9442a66384f3eddc3fb3d575.jpg

If you look at your canon pinion closely you will likely see (but not always) a divot in the tube part as indicated above. This is where the tube has been crimped to make it a tighter fit on the center wheel pinion, which is what you need to achieve.

As @Jon points out though you need to ensure that you don't crush the tube so much that it no longer goes onto the center wheel pinion at all, which is where inserting a wire all the way into the canon pinion tube helps as it limits the amount that it can be crushed. The wire needs to be just a tiny fraction smaller than the tube. If it's too small then you will still squash things too far and will need to open the hole out again with a broach. Too big and you won't be able to crush it enough to make any difference. The best approach is to adjust the fit in small steps, test fitting the canon pinion each time until you are happy with the fit.

You will also need to avoid crushing the tube so tightly onto the wire that you can't the extract the wire.

Good luck :-)

• Like 2