Have I broken my Omega 562

So my vintage omega 562 recently stopped automatically winding. And being an idiot with no watch repair knowledge but access to a case back remover thingy. I decided to open it up and have a look at the movement. I made sure the automatic winder thing was spinning freely and closed it back up. An hour or so later I discovered it has completly stopped and I found a little peice of machined metal on my desk. Specifically the peice I circled in the first image. I guess it wasn't screwed in, but that's neither here nor there atm. I then promptly picked that peice up, then dropped it on the floor and now it's gone. 45 mins of being on my hands and knees looking for it, I guess it fell between a crack in my floorboards and I'm pretty upset. If I send it in to an official omega servicer, will they be able to fix my watch and replace the part. Or being that this watch is from sometime in the 1960s maybe, am I boned? You can see were it would've gone in my second image. Give it to me straight, what do I do? Do I rip up my floorboards looking for this?

InkedOmegaService_010_LI.jpg

IMG_20200427_123533.jpg

59 minutes ago, AlexNZ said:

If I send it in to an official omega servicer, will they be able to fix my watch and replace the part.

You would be told after evaluation. Price would start at €610 plus any extra, of which it's very normal that the would find various.
I suggest that you send it to a reputable independent watchmaker, based on your country of residence.
I haven't looked up that piece but it's possible that a spare can be located for a reasonable price.

Can’t access the pic’s but you can use a strong magnet to look for the part, it can be demagn netised .  Spares may be expensive and hard to find but never impossible, as last resort used parts are an option .  You often noticed breaking something in the movement. 

Hi The circled piece is the rotor retaining piece, It fits into a slot of the reduction gear plate and is screwed in with a tiny screw. I guess you are unable to repair it yourself ands recommed jdm,s advise and take it to a local repair shop for evaluation and repair.

As @watchweasol says it's the rotor retainer, the worrying thing is that if it just fell out, then where is its screw? Likely as not it's rattling around inside the watch and is what caused the watch to stop, jamming in between other moving parts.

I don't doubt that a replacement part can be found but the watch will need stripping to recover the  screw.

Don't try winding or adjusting the watch until it has been recovered as you may cause further damage. 

Edited by Marc
  • Like 1

Lucky watchweasol saw the pic's for all of us. In addition to the rotor retaining piece/spring there must have been a screw to it, if not still inside the watch it will find your magnet. Google omega 562 ranfft to see a pic of the movement, the spring slides inside a groove on rotor axel and the screw would tighten in place, if you can do this and add a bit of oil on the axel, you will be done.

1 hour ago, AlexNZ said:

being an idiot with no watch repair knowledge

1 hour ago, AlexNZ said:

I'm pretty upset

Outstanding? You've learned an important lesson. It is commonly believed by so many people that watch repair is easy and maybe for a few people it is easy. But like any subject some prior studying knowledge access to tools etc.prior practicing really helpful to have for a successful outcome. Then technically you lost two parts as the screw that held the played in his now missing also

You can look on the Omega website for who they recommend but some parts of the world are shut down due to the virus. Then the part that you lost is called a gib and is currently for sale on eBay at a variety of prices. Including one seller that has it and the screw but according to the tech sheet it's not the correct screw?

Then it looks like I'm too slow to give an answer haven't even finished amd everyone else's answered the question except? I'm attaching a section out of the parts list this is a 2020 parts list and looks like they revised the Gib screw?

omega 550 gib.JPG

Omega revised part.JPG

• Like 1

OK, I found that peice on ebay and ordered it. I'm pretty sure it's a Caliber 550 Part No.1451, thanks for all your help. It wasn't too expensive (just over CA$20) so I'm happy to take a punt on it being the right thing. Whenever the stores open again, I'll get a quote from the Omega service and a independant watchmaker. See if they can put it all back together again. 

Seriously thanks for all your help. I'll be sure to leave it alone till I can get it properly looked at. 

• Like 1

Hi Alex   I have attached a little light reading for you .  We have all started somwhere into the Horological journey, being approached through interest or a practical challange, and all made mistakes so if this has sparked your interest reading the article will help. So  if you wish to continue as a hobby practise on Russian watches , Raketa, Wostock etc they are cheap to buy robust in construction and if you cock it up no great loss monetry wise. Practice is what it takes and a good selection of tools, 

TZIllustratedGlossary (1).pdf