Brac 117 Mainspring Barrel looks odd

Hi all. Working on my favourite type vintage watch, an old pin pellet - I just love the sound they make. A friend of mine said I sound like I’ve got a bomb strapped to my wrist when wearing one! [emoji51]

Anyway, this one is a Brac 117, which is an automatic. When I opened up the barrel, I found that the mainspring was tethered in place by a pin, which judging by the file marks and quality of the brazing I feel this is a bit of bodgeneering retrospectively carried out for one reason or other. The quality of the job aside, aren’t automatics supposed to have a bridle on the end of the mainspring to allow it to grip the barrel internal diameter and break away smoothly when fully wound?

Let’s see some pictures to clarify my above rantings

3553bf6c6d6ddc95641527a166c8df3f.jpg

016cb7afba215f293c9fada807a07601.jpg

206b14bf1b7d95f4776e19db81ed075e.jpg

What are your thoughts please? Has it been bodged, or is it supposed to be crudely pinned like that?

Kind regards

Deggsie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love seeing a bit of bodgery... Just when I think I've seen it all, something even more mind blowing turns up!

I agree with the others, the very nature of an automatic is for the mainspring to slip, so as not to put ridiculous torque and pressure on reduction/reversing wheels, which would be unable to move once this spring is fully wound. In fact, the rotor surely wouldn't move once it was at full wind.

Thanks for showing us it Deggsie

The amazing thing to me is this was a difficult bodge/fix when a new mainspring and or barrel would have been the best route and maybe easier. I admire the watchmaker that did this because it is a skill I bet he/she has employed before and maybe many times before.

1 hour ago, DavidMasters said:

The amazing thing to me is this was a difficult bodge/fix when a new mainspring and or barrel would have been the best route and maybe easier. I admire the watchmaker that did this because it is a skill I bet he/she has employed before and maybe many times before.

I know the place they do this. Seen lots of watches coming from the same place or country . Glue and paper and all sorts of bodges and tricks to make a watch run just enough to make it sell . 

Thank you all for your quick responses gentlemen . You all seem to concur that it’s a repair of sorts, which seems logical, and I agree David it was quite a difficult fix in lieu of swapping the spring/barrel. When fully wound, the rotor did indeed lock up. I will try to research the correct spring but if anyone has the specification I’d be grateful. Thanks all and keep safe. Kind regards, Deggsie

Hi thanks for finding this. It’s very overpriced and as I’m in the Uk the freight charge also tops it out as prohibitive. When I look closely some parts are missing so it may be out of the frying pan and into the fire if I buy this. Most of my watches are only a few pounds, that way if I break it I’m not too upset. That said, a watch for £3-£5 is usually in need of plenty of talc and so it pushes me to learn more

Stay safe and thanks for suggesting the movement.