my watches

henryr

I'm not a watch collector but may become one. My Accutron 214 that I bought new in 1966 stopped working and after searching for repairers, I found it would cost about $300. So I started searching for good quality used watches and settled on Seiko and Longines. My first purchase was a Seiko Diver 200m 7n36-6A49 in near mint condition. I'm not a diver but it looked cool and was in great condition. After more than 1 month it is still accurate within +-1 second.

I then started reading about HAQ watches and bought a Longines Conquest VHP quartz L237.2 L1.613.9 probably made around 1993. It has not lost or gained one second after 3 weeks. This watch looks like it has never been worn and it came with two extra links, extra pins, original outer box, inner box, instruction booklet in 4 languages including English, the warranty card with fields blank, another small card in Japanese and the jewelry store business card in Japanese. All these items are also in mint condition. Pages of the manual look they were never turned. Even the clasp appears never to have been opened as it is very tight with no sign of wear.,

So Maybe I've caught the collector bug because I continue reading about watches and have joined about six watch forums. 

henryr

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

longine vip 255563.jpg

expanded longines card.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, henryr said:

I'm not a watch collector but may become one. My Accutron 214 that I bought new in 1966 stopped working and after searching for repairers, I found it would cost about $300. So I started searching for good quality used watches and settled on Seiko and Longines. My first purchase was a Seiko Diver 200m 7n36-6A49 in near mint condition. I'm not a diver but it looked cool and was in great condition. After more than 1 month it is still accurate within +-1 second.

I then started reading about HAQ watches and bought a Longines Conquest VHP quartz L237.2 L1.613.9 probably made around 1993. It has not lost or gained one second after 3 weeks. This watch looks like it has never been worn and it came with two extra links, extra pins, original outer box, inner box, instruction booklet in 4 languages including English, the warranty card with fields blank, another small card in Japanese and the jewelry store business card in Japanese. All these items are also in mint condition. Pages of the manual look they were never turned. Even the clasp appears never to have been opened as it is very tight with no sign of wear.,

So Maybe I've caught the collector bug because I continue reading about watches and have joined about six watch forums. 

henryr

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

longine vip 255563.jpg

expanded longines card.jpg

I hate to tell you but you are a watch collector. Are you sure you dont want to spend the $300 on repairing you 1966? 

• Like 1

The Accutron is in great cosmetic condition. With the naked eye the crystal is scratch free and face and hands look new. There are a very few light surface scratches on the back, sides, bezel and bow ties. From a foot away they hard to see. Any idea what it might be worth after repair?

Edited by henryr

Just checked ebay for sold Accutron 214 bowtie watches. Most sold for $85 to $185 and one sold for $300. I searched more accutron repair sites and $300 is typical, just for a cleaning and lube. If it needs any parts like coils, cost could easily be $500 or more and  that doesn't include any cosmetic work.  I'm going to sell  is as non-working.

Welcome to the club. Ebay might say one thing but your heart may say another. Im pretty bored here on lock down you should let me fix that watch of yours. I had an old luminox that the tritium tubes died on that I replaced. I also rebuilt an oris TT1 from scratch that was my baby. Took me a whole year to get that 7750 down but now ive rebuilt so many of them that I can pretty much do it with my eyes closed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Replace the movement... That's what I did on mine. I bought a working 218D movement on eBay for about $50. Relatively simple swap, though the 214 is a bit more rare and desirable, and expensive. You can find complete watches too and just pull the movement. It's a place to start for sure.

• Like 1