Gübelin Pocket Watch

Hello all. So i buy this really cool Gubelin pocket watch on ebay which is sold as not running.  When I received the watch i immediately discovered it has a broken balance staff pivot.  So what to do?

I own a lathe.  I own pivot wire.  I own a complete set of sherline collets.  Ive used gravers before.  Done lots of machining too.  But i moved my shop to a different town and lost my darn T-rest.

So i call a watch machinist.  He requires $200 to manufacture a new staff. Ugh.  The sherline T-rest costs $220 plus tax and shipping. Ugh again

I had the idea to contact Gübelin in Switzerland.  I got a response email from a nice fellow who tells me my new watch is a Cyma manufacture from the late 1930's. Gübelin doesnt make their own items.  They are jobbed out.  I guess like Tiffanys.

I look on Ebay and the was a Cyma 15 jewel missing its case with the exact movement plate design and configuration for $49.

Hopefully I will be able to cannibalize the balance wheel or staff.  We shall see.

Screenshot_20200422-082444_eBay.jpg

IMG_20200417_171650_391.jpg

• Like 1

Gubelin sold here extensively, I just may have the staff you need, in which case I be happy to gift wrap and send you a few. My tablet wont always open pictures, please give the caliber No so I dig in my bag of tricks.

• Like 1

I don't think they donor movement you show is the same caliber. If somehow it is, or is the same family, it appears the Gubelin has a flat hairspring and the donor an overcoil.

Out of curiosity who did you contact for the staff? 200 is a very good price.

• Like 1

I havent disassembled my Gubelin yet.  And I have yet to receive the Cyma in the mail.  I will investigate both and get back to this thread.

Yes $200 isnt a bad price.  The gentleman advertises in the NAWCC newsletter

Henningwatches.com

I may still use him.

I havent disassembled my Gubelin yet.  And I have yet to receive the Cyma in the mail.  I will investigate both and get back to this thread.
Yes $200 isnt a bad price.  The gentleman advertises in the NAWCC newsletter
Henningwatches.com
I may still use him.
I know that fellow, if he makes you a staff it will be equal to or most probably better than the original.

Mine is a Cyma 587. The movement i purchased unfortunately is a Cyma 779 (i think.  Didnt take off the balance cock.  Its 77something).  

Anybody got a Cyma 587 balance staff?  

Frustrating day at the shop.  Having a scotch to drown my sorrows

• 1 month later...

So I fortunately found a Cyma 587 calibre movement on Ebay by chance.  The lady i bought it from didnt even have a picture of the movement on her listing but the dial and hands of her watch are exactly like my Gubelin made by Cyma.  And for $30 including shipping i took a chance and was lucky.

The Cyma 587 wasnt one of the company's most produced calibres.

I took the complete balance assembly out of the $30 junker.  Staff/roller/hairspring and its stud and balance wheel.  And placed that into the Gubelin watch.  Using the Gubelin balance cock.

So far so good.  The watch is running.  I used my timer and got the speed to -28 seconds a day.  HOWEVER......

The balance only swings face side down or with the plates vertical.  If I place the watch face side up, the balance stops.

At this moment i let the watch run for 2 days. I wound it twice.  Then i placed it back in its case and put it away after it lost power on day 3.

While its dormant I bought a microscope.  I feel the cock jewels may be amiss.  Im unsure.

If and when i figure out whats the issue.  Ill submit an update

Screenshot_20200604-131134_Gallery.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.  Just an update on my Cyma made Gubelin pocketwatch.

I said in a previous post the balance wheel would rotate only in face down or vertically.  Face up it wouldnt run.

The issue was quite simple.  On the balance cock with this movement, the cap jewel is set onto a washer that has a beveled edge.  The washer goes on top of the regulator and is fastened with two screws.  The regulator  has a countersunk/beveled edge as well.

I had taken apart all of this for cleaning.  When i reassembled this area i failed to line up both beveled edges such that they would mate.  Thus the jewel was pushed up ever so much and the balance staff pivot wasnt running against it in dial side up position.

2 things:

i love my microscope!

I wish all problems were this easy to remedy!

• Like 2