Chinese ‘Horia’

chadders1966

Hi

Thought I’d post about this tool I’ve bought via Aliexpress. I think it was listed as a Horia clone but seems very well made to me. I have a second hand Horia with a 3mm bore, this has a 4mm. Can’t see that much difference really, but I actually bought it more for the anvils and pushers which cost a fortune for the Horia ones.

I got it in a sale so all items together cost me £140. Even if I’d been charged VAT etc. it would only have been an extra £35ish. The price for brand new Horia 4mm tool, pushers and anvils on Cousins is currently £1800, so a bit of a saving. The whole lot seem well made and finished, measurements are accurate.7D86ED22-8503-422C-9084-E411F70837C8.thumb.jpeg.e0d55da496817653aa38fa5b0128cf21.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes, I remember seeing that thread before now thanks, interesting stuff. As I said I already have a Horia tool, and a Seitz set as well. Personally I prefer the micrometer style control of the Horia over the lever style as I find the more precise control useful for a number of operations.

As mentioned I was attracted to this tool mainly for the pushers and anvils, a lot more sizes than come with the Seitz, although not the variety and a fraction of the price of the Horia equivalent. What struck me was the standard and finish of all components, better than I expected for the price. Although I am usually an advocate of good second hand tools over cheaper, less well made new ones, I do wonder with this one. Anyway I thought it was worth mentioning as an option because of quality and value.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chadders1966 said:

As I said I already have a Horia tool, and a Seitz set as well.

Look like you're well set when it comes to precise pressing then :)

12 hours ago, chadders1966 said:

As mentioned I was attracted to this tool mainly for the pushers and anvils, a lot more sizes than come with the Seitz, although not the variety and a fraction of the price of the Horia equivalent.

I think that as long one has enough time and a lathe, the real watchmaker approach is to turn your own piece for the job at hand.

I understand what you mean and I think that, provided you have the equipment as you say, it is a good idea to know how to make items yourself. You never know when you might have to do so, particularly with obsolete parts for old watches.

However if you can easily pick the items up for less than a couple of quid a piece like I did in this instance I am not going to spend the time and effort making it. If that makes me not a ‘real watchmaker’ that’s fine as I wouldn’t  claim to be one anyway - whatever’s simplest and easiest suits me fine ;).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chadders1966 said:

If that makes me not a ‘real watchmaker’ that’s fine as I wouldn’t  claim to be one anyway - whatever’s simplest and easiest suits me fine ;).

Neither am I and normally I also aim for effectiveness and simplification but especially at this time of long days at home I become really fond of my small lathe (not a watchmaker's) which is giving me a lot of satisfaction. 

• Like 1

I certainly agree with you there. In the last few weeks I’ve been enjoying myself making some interesting tools on my Sherline mill/lathe that I’ve never found time to do before. Although as usual with me I haven’t actually finished any yet. I need to get back to working on watches :)!

I really like this set, it has worked perfectly for me a few times.

What I don’t like is I overpaid a lot for it! The seller has dropped his price quite a lot. I don’t know why now, I was watching this item for a while and the price fluctuated maybe 5 or 10 pounds during that time.

(also the listed price now is not the cheapest it’s been either!)

Edited by AP1875

2 minutes ago, AP1875 said:

What I don’t like is I overpaid a lot for it! The seller has dropped his price quite a lot. I don’t know why now, I was watching this item for a while and the price fluctuated maybe 5 or 10 pounds during that time. (also the listed price now is not the cheapest it’s been either!)

AliX sellers are extremely wary of their prices in relation to competition. On items, like this one, that just few sellers carry they will happily apply a higher margin. And a much higher one when they are only one carrying a particular item  - something that usually doesn't last long, but it happens nevertheless. I have seen specialized items which were cheaper to purchase in EU with VAT and all, than on AliX. Notified the seller and they didn't care.