Making Kundo Keninger & Obergfell clock works

Dick

I’m new here. I bought the anniversary clock and am trying to get it working. I observed the body of the clock the spring cable of the pendulum seem fine.
1. I tried to rewind the clock counterclockwise (not sure it is correct), the tension is so great and bounced back when releasing the key. 
2. Not sure if the spring for the clock body works since I’ve never heard any tick tock.

That was a start, any advices?

5166B846-1E57-44EB-85E5-52DB222BCAC5.jpeg

This type of clock is the sort many clock repairers do not like to repair. The first thing I need to see is the suspension spring. That is the long thin wire at the back. I need to see the back plate and movement as well. Can you take good clear photos and post them.

Dick, as a new member we like new members to introduce themselves in the correct place in our friendly forum.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi Dick and welcome to the forum.  With 400 day/anniversary clocks there is no discernable  tick tock as on normal mechanical clocks, The mainspring is small but very powerful driving a clock such as these, The energy consumed by the clock when running is very small hence the name, It can run for 400days or be wound once a year (anniversary). The rotary pendulum hangs on a thin flat wire connected to the escapement fork which moves back and forth in tune with the pendulum releasing the escapement. These are simple to work on and a pain to set up and must be set dead level for them to work.  As mentioned we need pictures of the back plate to determine the model of the clock  Ok its a Kundo but there are different models of Kundo.      Cheers

I have serviced/fixed many.400 day/anniversary clocks over the years. They are a real challenge because everything has to be perfect for them to run and are expected to run for 400 days with a single wind. The one thing that must be absolutely correct is the suspension spring. It must be perfectly straight with no kinks an also be the correct strength. If the spring is touch too strong or weak and you will just run out of adjustment. I really recommend this book which is my bible with these clocks.

Horolovar 400-Day Clock Repair Guide

Terwilliger (Charles)

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• in general this shouldn't be any change. but in general questions like this it be nice to know the specifics of the watch in other words how was it performing before it was cased up and what is it doing now.
    • just as a reminder this watch is a Swatch group product. This will bring up a problem like spare parts and technical information. that I found some links to some information on when I talk about your watch and some of the technical and basically your watch is equivalent to 2834-2 for which I'm attaching the technical sheets. But equivalent does not mean exactly the same you want to do a search on the group for C07 as we discussed this watch before including the technical differences how it's supposed to be regulated and basically because it's watch group there is no parts availability. https://calibercorner.com/eta-caliber-c07-xxx/   https://www.chrono24.com/magazine/eta-movements-from-the-2824-2-to-the-powermatic-80-p_80840/ https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/h-10-movement-details.4636991/ eta CT_2834-2_FDE_481857_15.pdf
    • people be honest.... Swatch is evil for the watchmakers and repairers, BUT not everything in watches from Switzerland is from the Swatch-Group. As far as i know, Selitta got sacked by Swatch as a Movement-Assembler for them and they started to produce Movements in their own Name with slight Modifications. As far as i know, they sell Parts to the Market for their Movements. In most cases, if a ETA-Movement fails, it is a valid Option to replace it with a Selitta Movement, which i consider the Solution for this Mess with the Swatch-Group...... I have no Connection to anybody at Selitta, but being a Swiss-Guy, i still like to have Swiss-Made Watches, but not from the Swatch-Group.   ok ? regards, Ernst
    • Just one more greedy act by Swatch. They started a number of years ago here in the US..cutting off supplies to watchmakers that could build complications that many Swatch houses couldn't even touch. Old school masters who had gone through some of the most prestigious houses in the world. Otto Frei has some statements on their page about it. I tell all my customers to avoid new Swiss watches like the plague,..unless they just want an older one in their collection that still has some parts out on the market, or they have really deep pockets and don't mind waiting months and paying through the nose to get it back. Plenty of others to choose from..IE Seiko,..or other non-swiss brands Even a number of Chinese brands are catching up with the Swiss,..and I think that in time, their actions will be their downfall
    • Yes. If that's not what you are experiencing...start looking for something rubbing. A 1st guess is that one of the hands is rubbing against the hole in the center of the dial. Especially if you now have lower amplitude in face up/ face down positions.