Magnetized Illinois PW Hairspring-IThink

I had this Illinois PW that had really poor amplitude and just got around addressing this. Along with the hairspring issue, somehow I must have put the Seconds Hand pip beside the Second hand pivot instead of on top and did not notice, causing it to stop and run slow. Felt like an idiot when I noticed it after fixing the magnetized and dirty hairspring. All good now and really good amplitude. Here is the watch and movement and the YouTube video I made.Enjoy

c3ed3454ddc9a3438f4bb1cc673cda8b.jpg1d17c2a4d4b2a300c394875ae5ace586.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very nice thin movement by Illinois. Is that a green gold filled case? I once had an A. Lincoln model in a green gold case. Really nice. Great initials and case decoration. Looks like a rather special make to me.

Minor point: While Illinois did make a Marquis Aristocrat, yours is a Marquis Autocrat.

Make sure it never has a staff problem, as they are very unique. At least I think this is the same model that has the roller-table riveted to the balance arm. I believe there was a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd model of the Autocrat. It is very hard to see what's going on with it. I have an Illinois model 439 Extra-thin model, which is different but shares some parts, that had the roller-table broken off. I was lucky to have found a parts movement to get a balance out of. Unfortunately, the parts balance has a bad staff pivot on it so it needs to be removed. The problem is in getting proper support to the roller-table while you drive the friction staff out. I don't want to break the balance or the replacement staff that I was also rather lucky to find, methinks. My staking set doesn't have the stump with the angled slot that is narrow enough to work. This movement has been a real head-scratcher. Still in the "to-do" pile.

Thanks for the video. I loved the way you used the slo-mo video to check the amplitude. Nice tip! Cheers.

Edited by MrRoundel
Add "slo-mo" comment.

Very nice thin movement by Illinois. Is that a green gold filled case? I once had an A. Lincoln model in a green gold case. Really nice. Great initials and case decoration. Looks like a rather special make to me.
Minor point: While Illinois did make a Marquis Aristocrat, yours is a Marquis Autocrat.
Make sure it never has a staff problem, as they are very unique. At least I think this is the same model that has the roller-table riveted to the balance arm. I believe there was a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd model of the Autocrat. It is very hard to see what's going on with it. I have an Illinois model 439 Extra-thin model, which is different but shares some parts, that had the roller-table broken off. I was lucky to have found a parts movement to get a balance out of. Unfortunately, the parts balance has a bad staff pivot on it so it needs to be removed. The problem is in getting proper support to the roller-table while you drive the friction staff out. I don't want to break the balance or the replacement staff that I was also rather lucky to find, methinks. My staking set doesn't have the stump with the angled slot that is narrow enough to work. This movement has been a real head-scratcher. Still in the "to-do" pile.
Thanks for the video. I loved the way you used the slo-mo video to check the amplitude. Nice tip! Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a roller table removal tool that works great in allowing the staff to be free while supporting the table. I also have another roller table removal tool where it supports the table and has three stakes that you use to tap it out. I’ll take a picture of these.7d54944f7270dacf654089afec43586c.jpg

Thanks for the tool tips. Some of the difficulty is in supporting the roller table without breaking the roller jewel. As you can see in the image, the safety roller is part of the staff. It's a bugger. Illinois_Watch_Company_1923_Material_Catalog_PWDB_Digital_Archive_-_2020-02-19_11_49_37.jpg.857e4e7ea8e8fbd00986e4dd07d069ed.jpg

Is the safety roller or full roller the same material as the Staff or a real part of the staff. If so, you would need to turn the roller table in making the staff.

Yes, if one was to make a staff for this watch they would need to turn that safety roller into it. It doesn't show in the image but there is a crescent cutout. I was able to find a staff for it. However I am still hung up on removal, as it's too easy to destroy the balance if you get too aggressive. If I can find an image I'll attach it in a while.

The roller table itself and the "spacer" between it and the safety roller are one piece, and well riveted as to be part of the balance.

.jpg

Yes, if one was to make a staff for this watch they would need to turn that safety roller into it. It doesn't show in the image but there is a crescent cutout. I was able to find a staff for it. However I am still hung up on removal, as it's too easy to destroy the balance if you get too aggressive. If I can find an image I'll attach it in a while.
The roller table itself and the "spacer" between it and the safety roller are one piece, and well riveted as to be part of the balance.

.jpg.4b8a17ad55193401c7f9e2d566af1694.jpg

I think I get it. You don’t have a pinch roller remover do you. It goes between the top of the roller table and where the balance fits on the staff.

Thanks for your responses, JDRichard. Do you mean the scissor type? The one I have isn't quite thick enough, I believe. One of the problems is that most roller removers, if used as designed,  will break off the roller jewel. As you can see, this roller jewel is gone on this one. The hole in the table is at about 12:00. I may take another look at the scissor/pinch? remover I have to see if it might help. Thanks again. Stay safe out there. Cheers.