Minimum Tools For Clean & Lube

ContiDave

New guy here.  Been lurking and have picked up a lot of good info.  I initially found the site because I have a Seiko 5T52 that I have had for about 25 years.  Recently, it began stopping about 2 or 3 times a week and loses a couple of minutes a day.  I'm assuming it needs a clean and lube and I was hoping to fix the old watch, but after reading I knew I needed some tools and knowledge first.  I purchased another Seiko for my main timepiece but would like to clean and lube the 5T52 for sentimental reasons.  I have plenty of time now to plan and gather materials.  I figure I can only ruin it--right!  Then put it on ebay for parts.

First question, can someone give me a list of the bare minimum tools, supplies, and equipment I would need to do a professional job of cleaning and lubing. I don't think this will turn into a hobby so I would like to keep this affordable.  I have the basic ebay 18 piece kit because I needed to size my new watch bracelet.  My questions are: can I get away without oilers and possibly dip a pin in the oil and dab on; can I get by with just one pair of tweezers, what size; do I need a loupes; can I just put parts in a jar of cleaning solution and hand agitate; etc...  Thanks in advance.  I'm sure I'll have more questions as I work through the process.

Welcome! This article will be a good start.

http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/index.php?/topic/33-[Article]10-Essential-Tools-Every-Watch-Repairer-Needs

I've heard of making oilers from needles, but oilers aren't very expensive anyway. You'll definitely need at least a 4x loupe. A lot of guys use lighter fluid to clean. Lubricants are very expensive. Maybe you could get a watchmaker to sell you a small quantity?

Edited by Don

Welcome to the forum Dave. Watch & clock repairs can become an obsessive hobby especially if you start to have successful conclusions. I would recommend you follow the link Don has given and don,t make the mistake I made by buying cheap. 

Any issues with your first repair no matter how small drop it in on a post and someone for sure will have the answer.

Hi Dave,

There are a lot of good responses above.

A few observations..

This is quite a complex watch and you could have started with an easier one?

oilers... you could modify a needle.. first you need to heat the tip cherry red to remove the temper. then you will need to file/sand the tip down a bit. The oilers are not pointed.. they are paddle shaped at the end so that a drop forms there.

Quartz watches need very fine oils, this is because very little power is available and poor oils causes drag and poor running and poor battery life. Novastar is ok for mechanical watches but I would only use for slower running wheels.. not the balance jewels and escape wheels. Novastar also goes 'off' faster. You might find yourself having to re-do the whole thing again in a year or so. Also being since it is was designed for mechanical watches it may have unwanted reactions with plastic parts. You need something like moebius 9030 or 9034.

As mentioned earlier quartz watches have very little power for the gear train so cleanlines is even more important than in mechanical watches. A minute bit of fluff is enough to stop things.

Apart from tools, the most important thing is having a clean desk and good lighting. If you do have to make do with your study desk etc with a lot of stuff on it at least drape the stuff in a white sheet so that parts do not get lost. Avoid carpeted workspaces!

all the best!

Anil

• 2 weeks later...

As far as my wife is concerned. Off the record, I've only begun to spend the money. [emoji355] [emoji383] [emoji386] [emoji387] [emoji389]

That's gonna change. I told my wife I needed a couple "little" bottles of oil and nearly got decapitated when she found out I was going to be spending almost $200 on 3 bottles of Moebius

That's gonna change. I told my wife I needed a couple "little" bottles of oil and nearly got decapitated when she found out I was going to be spending almost $200 on 3 bottles of Moebius

That's where you went wrong...you told her. :D