Battery Replacement Gone Wrong!

MAA3

While attempting to replace the battery on an old Gucci 900M, I ran into a bit of trouble. The old battery had been in for decades and appears to have corroded or oxidized the inside a bit.

When I put the replacement battery in, the watch would only tick when I put pressure on the battery with my thumb. I soon realized that the little gold ribbon that goes underneath the battery was loose (no longer connected to anything). I tried to fish it out to examine and it dropped from my tweezer and somehow ended sliding underneath the entire movement, seemingly lost forever.

Does anyone have any advice for next steps? I am new to this and doing my best, please help! Here are photos to help out: https://imgur.com/gallery/HnqbSPV

Hi   Unable to access the photos,   What you have lost is the negative contact for the battery. The corrosive salts from the battery have eaten away the brass contact, If you could post direct picture to the site of the back of the movement and if possible find the caliber   number and maker of the movement. Gucchi  900M  is the fashion watch name and means little. This information will be required  as There is a distinct possibility that a replacement movment might be in order. 

• Like 1

Hmmm. Advice is going to be somewhat dependent on your skill level and bravery, but seeing that you've already removed the movement from the case, I guess you are up for a challenge.

The movement is marked as an ETA 555.415 (just by the coil), so we have something to start with.

Unfortunately it looks like the battery tab is an integral part of the circuit... which is obsolete.  You can see that on the top of page 5 here https://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories/3259_ETA 555.115,125,415,425.pdf

Removing the pcb is simply a matter of undoing 4 screws, but unless you have a movement holder you should put it back in the case first to avoid damaging the hands.

If there has been corrosion damage sufficient to destroy the terminal then you are likely going to be looking for a new pcb. It can be a bit hit and miss from seller descriptions, but if you can find a working watch on ebay with the right movement then that should be a simple swap. There are a number of movements using the same pcb - see here http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=|[[EWJ[

I don’t see the battery insulator in your pictures and it also looks like the earth terminal may have lost a leg (could just be photo quality). Both of those parts are available https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/filter/eta-esa-movement-parts

Whilst the movement is obsolete, they are not completely unobtainable. A quick search found one here https://www.watchmaterial.com/eta-555-415-3-hands-date-at-3-quartz-watch-movement/

Swapping the movement is a straightforward job for a watch repair shop, but you may have to swap a few parts across, alternatively you could just swap the pcbs over.

Even if you find a replacement circuit you still have an old watch that needs to be cleaned. Quartz watches have lubrication and with time that goes bad the same as any other watch. Plus the bits and pieces of the corrosion from the battery are now in the movement.

Thank you for all the responses! This has turned from an unfortunate error to a great learning experience for me.

Just to be clear, is the consensus suggestion to remove the circuit from the dial by undoing the screws and then buying a new circuit online that fits? I think I may be a bit confused (sorry for being such a noob).

Technically you're not really removing the circuit from the dial, but rather from the movement's pillar plate. Just semantics mostly, but the dial itself is attached to the other side of the plate, FYI.

If you get a new movement, it looks like an ETA 555.415, which is engraved on the gold colored plate. If you get a new movement, you'll probably want to transfer the coil and/or coil frame/guard to the new movement or circuit board. I suppose you could be a new movement that says Gucci but you'll be paying again for the name you bought last time. 

As was mentioned, it may indeed need a cleaning. This is especially true after the battery salted in there. If so, it's no job for a newbie. First you'd have to get a few tools. Then you'll have to be super careful. There's a little magnetic stepping motor in quartz watches that can be real blast. The pivots are also very small. All sorts of things to go wrong. As I newbie, I'd suggest MAYBE trying to replace the circuit board only, as that's minimally what the watch needs.  If that doesn't work, you'd be best taking it to a pro or spending time and money on tools and experience. Good luck with it.

You might check out this thread. It looks like it discusses replacement movements for such a caliber of ETA.

Interchangeability?

Edited by MrRoundel

20 hours ago, AlexeiJ1 said:

If you get stuck I have a Elesee watch in my parts drawer with same circuit board/movement that I can pull parts and post to you.
With COVID19 postage will take forever though...

That would be excellent and appreciated! I will be keeping this thread updated with my progress!

3 minutes ago, MrRoundel said:

Technically you're not really removing the circuit from the dial, but rather from the movement's pillar plate. Just semantics mostly, but the dial itself is attached to the other side of the plate, FYI.

If you get a new movement, it looks like an ETA 555.415, which is engraved on the gold colored plate. If you get a new movement, you'll probably want to transfer the coil and/or coil frame/guard to the new movement or circuit board. I suppose you could be a new movement that says Gucci but you'll be paying again for the name you bought last time. 

As was mentioned, it may indeed need a cleaning. This is especially true after the battery salted in there. If so, it's no job for a newbie. First you'd have to get a few tools. Then you'll have to be super careful. There's a little magnetic stepping motor in quartz watches that can be real blast. The pivots are also very small. All sorts of things to go wrong. As I newbie, I'd suggest MAYBE trying to replace the circuit board only, as that's minimally what the watch needs.  If that doesn't work, you'd be best taking it to a pro or spending time and money on tools and experience. Good luck with it.

You might check out this thread. It looks like it discusses replacement movements for such a caliber of ETA.

Interchangeability?

Here's my progress. I've successfully gotten the circuit removed from the movement's pillar plate (I think/hope). Do you think from the photo it will be enough to just replace the pcb (if it's possible to tell)?

unnamed.jpg

I don't think that's there's a way to tell if it will work for sure. But, if it doesn't, the odds are that a clean and oil will get it going. The only way to know for sure would be to replace it with a running movement. But that is a bit easier said than done. Not terrible, but you'll need to remove the hands without hurting the dial, remove the dial, and get things back together. And be careful with screwdrivers around that wrapped coil. One small slip for a man is one giant destruction for a coil.

You can probably remove the hands by levering under them with opposing screwdrivers, and using a dial protector of some sort, but once you mar a dial it's a forever bummer, as you'll always see it when you check the time. If you watch some of Marc Lovick's (The Master/owner of this site.) videos on quartz movement cleaning and replacement, you'll see what it takes. He produces some of the best tutorial videos available on youtube.

watchrepairchannel

I'd say it's your lucky day. The auction site seems to have someone selling replacement movements that are actually marked "Gucci". Maybe your date indicator is gold colored like it is as well. That way you wouldn't even have that to deal with changing.  Being that you'll probably pay as much for just the PCB (Circuit), this is a fortuitous situation. Oh, and this one has a center seconds hand. If yours is just hour and minute, it won't be right.

Good luck. I hope it's OK with the moderators to post the link. I have no relation to the seller whatsoever. And trust but verify is always the order of the day. Cheers.

Gucci 555.415

Edited by MrRoundel
Added Ebay link.

2 hours ago, MAA3 said:

Do you think from the photo it will be enough to just replace the pcb (if it's possible to tell)?

Probably a waste of time because I looked at the link above that is a really good price for quartz movement and they supposedly check it out before they send it.

Visually you can't tell if the quartz watch is going to run or not. You can put a battery in after you change the circuit and see if it works. But visually is not good enough Your supposed to do some electrical checks to verify that it indeed is running correctly.

• Like 2

I can’t see the state of the movement from your picture with the circuit removed, but it’s likely as others say there will be contamination from the battery leaking in there.

Swapping a circuit is a straight forward task as you’ve seen.

If you want to swap the movement, then swapping dial and hands is a bit more tricky, but not a big deal if you are reasonably dexterous, have good eyesight (or magnification) and take care.  Swapping the date wheel over if they are different also looks like it’s pretty straightforward on this movement, but can get more exciting.

My advice would be to go for the new movement. We can walk you through the swap process, and if you decide to bottle out then you can just swap the pcbs over. If the movement subsequently dies then you have a good spare to fit later.

You haven’t shown a pic of the dial, but I would buy a movement with the same date ring versus the Gucci branded one. You can always fit your Gucci marked coil guard, and that’s the only difference between them.

8 hours ago, StuartBaker104 said:

I can’t see the state of the movement from your picture with the circuit removed, but it’s likely as others say there will be contamination from the battery leaking in there.

Swapping a circuit is a straight forward task as you’ve seen.

If you want to swap the movement, then swapping dial and hands is a bit more tricky, but not a big deal if you are reasonably dexterous, have good eyesight (or magnification) and take care.  Swapping the date wheel over if they are different also looks like it’s pretty straightforward on this movement, but can get more exciting.

My advice would be to go for the new movement. We can walk you through the swap process, and if you decide to bottle out then you can just swap the pcbs over. If the movement subsequently dies then you have a good spare to fit later.

You haven’t shown a pic of the dial, but I would buy a movement with the same date ring versus the Gucci branded one. You can always fit your Gucci marked coil guard, and that’s the only difference between them.

The movement appeared to be working fine when I was able to get the battery to function (before the negative contact became disconnected). Here is a photo of the dial.

unnamed.jpg

2 hours ago, Watchtime said:

if needed I am happy to take a look in my parts boxes, I have a lot of quartz movements, perhaps the ETA 555.415 is among them...

That would be really appreciated! I was about to buy from the auction site that MrRoundel generously linked to, but will hold off.

From the image it looks like the date indicator may be white. I can't tell for sure. As was mentioned, if you want to change it over it shouldn't be a terrible job. Probably just a few screws with retainers. I will say that with the color of the hour markers, etc., on your watch, the gold one might actually look better. There is also the issue that the date ring needs to have the numbers at proper orientation for the 6 o'clock location. I'll look at the auction to see how the date is situated and will add to this comment.

Looks like a winner. 3 hands and proper date ring. Good luck.

Edited by MrRoundel

59 minutes ago, MrRoundel said:

From the image it looks like the date indicator may be white. I can't tell for sure. As was mentioned, if you want to change it over it shouldn't be a terrible job. Probably just a few screws with retainers. I will say that with the color of the hour markers, etc., on your watch, the gold one might actually look better. There is also the issue that the date ring needs to have the numbers at proper orientation for the 6 o'clock location. I'll look at the auction to see how the date is situated and will add to this comment.

Looks like a winner. 3 hands and proper date ring. Good luck.

Just bought the movement, excited for it to arrive in about a week. I will check back in then :)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MAA3 said:

new movement!

I'm feeling lazy and not go reread the entire conversation so first step would be verify that this watch runs before doing anything else. Then maybe make sure it runs overnight just to be safe.

Then as you replacing the movement rather than the circuit and even if replace the circuit this is sort of irrelevant. I was looking at the circuit picture carefully and noticed coil wire on the right goes to the coil from the circuit board. But on the left-hand side it seems to disappear? Even looking at it really really close it looks like it's broken. So just as a reminder when working on quartz watches be careful to stay away from the coil it's really easy to Damage it.

Then with your new movement make sure your workspaces really clean. When putting the hands on rest it on something solid yes it be nice if we all had thousands of movement holders for every movement ever made but we don't. So just be careful when you're pushing the hands-on.

bad coil.JPG

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

I'm feeling lazy and not go reread the entire conversation so first step would be verify that this watch runs before doing anything else. Then maybe make sure it runs overnight just to be safe.

Then as you replacing the movement rather than the circuit and even if replace the circuit this is sort of irrelevant. I was looking at the circuit picture carefully and noticed coil wire on the right goes to the coil from the circuit board. But on the left-hand side it seems to disappear? Even looking at it really really close it looks like it's broken. So just as a reminder when working on quartz watches be careful to stay away from the coil it's really easy to Damage it.

Then with your new movement make sure your workspaces really clean. When putting the hands on rest it on something solid yes it be nice if we all had thousands of movement holders for every movement ever made but we don't. So just be careful when you're pushing the hands-on.

bad coil.JPG

Thanks for the reply :). Unfortunately this is my first time ever doing something like this, so more clear steps would probably be needed here before I feel comfortable doing anything to the watch. Here's a video of what I've got

As the watch ran until the -ve battery connection came away and you have now managed to remove the circuit, surely the easiest and cheapest option would have been to solder the old connector (or a fabricated replacement) back to the stud on the underside of the circuit board? Nothing to lose......... However as you have managed to obtain a replacement movement the easiest option is just to fit the circuit from that to the original movement or am I missing something here?

• Like 1

Hi  Step one is to verify the received movement works ok , put a battery in and fit the second hand and run it for a few hours,    Then fit the dial and hands from the old watch and again leave to run a while, (cover movement) and if all goes well fit into the case But be careful of the fact that the coil is fragile and will not stand abuse of any kind. 

• Like 1