Crystal cleaning

7 hours ago, Redwood said:

So if the inside of the crystal becomes heavily soiled with years of grim what chemical would you clean it with 

The the most efficient "chemical" I've come across for all sorts of grime is warm/hot water and a good detergent (and a toothbrush). Let it soak for some time first.

If it is a plastic crystal you may find this link useful: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/beginners-exterior-watch-detailing-videos-3983474.html#post37998658 If plastic you can sandpaper the outside as well as the inside, but in most cases Polywatch will be enough for the inside.

Edited by VWatchie

Be very careful to fully rinse the crystal if you have to resort to polishing the inside. It’s not usually necessary. 

I use Greiner soap in my ultrasonic, but washing up liquid would be just as good since it doesn’t need to be ammoniated. 

I am a bit unconventional in my way of doing things and I'm always looking for a product that I can 're-purpose'. 3M Auto Rubbing Compound is a 3k grit compound that is used to remove fog from auto headlights, but it is an excellent product for watch crystals. I've used it for a long time and never use anything else. Buy one bottle for about $12.00US and it'll last a lifetime.

IMG_2644.JPG

• Like 2

12 hours ago, VWatchie said:

The the most efficient "chemical" I've come across for all sorts of grime is warm/hot water and a good detergent (and a toothbrush). Let it soak for some time first.

If it is a plastic crystal you may find this link useful: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/beginners-exterior-watch-detailing-videos-3983474.html#post37998658 If plastic you can sandpaper the outside as well as the inside, but in most cases Polywatch will be enough for the inside.

I just wanted to know what others use on the inside, i use window cleaner with a cotton bud and dry off with a lint free cloth. 

As for  acrylic I use Dialux yellow with a soft mop after the pre sanding 

good video, the guy was very passionate although I was cringing a few times 

I am a bit unconventional in my way of doing things and I'm always looking for a product that I can 're-purpose'. 3M Auto Rubbing Compound is a 3k grit compound that is used to remove fog from auto headlights, but it is an excellent product for watch crystals. I've used it for a long time and never use anything else. Buy one bottle for about $12.00US and it'll last a lifetime.
IMG_2644.thumb.JPG.e3ce27441cb6a6d86cc1fde85fac3cee.JPG

Just bought some

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jdrichard said:

Just bought some

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I'll be interested in your impression of how it works. A small dot of compound and lite pressure with a cloth and with a bit of rubbing it'll look much better.