Seiko 7006A

I just received my Seiko 7006A that I bought off ebay. The watch appeared quite nice in the photos, but alas it wasn't in real life.

The rotor had a "clunking" sound, as describe by the seller. Should be fixable....

When I opened it up, I couldn't get the movement out from the back. Was it a front loader? The crystal didn't look like it would come off with a crystal lift. After careful examination and prodding around. I managed to pry the movement ring off. Someone had glued the crystal on with so much glue that it seeped under the movement ring.

When the movement came out, my heart sank. Someone had pried the dial off with so much force that it wrinkled the dial! :pulling-hair-out:

He even broke 1 dial foot and bent the other.

But the last straw was when I discovered the mainspring barrel had been damaged!:growl:

I've searched cousins and ebay for a replacement and even a donor movement to no avail.

Does anyone know if the barrels from other Seiko models will fit a 7006A? Like maybe a 7S26?

20200411_224229.jpg

20200411_224100.jpg

20200411_224133.jpg

20200411_224153.jpg

20200411_223934.jpg

41 minutes ago, aac58 said:

You can use the barrel from 7009, 7005, 7019 and 7025, but not from a 7S26.

The 7S26A barrel can be used, its P/N 201.024 is common to both mov'ts.
One can learn about the differences between revisions of the 7S26 with the document that I maintain.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRN2UULQKTfKmhRStZhDdIOIQrqd6sPB-g6x2SKyQQjOvTBjG_7TQXQhAT4f1WqAX5QAPkIimi-3jqd/pubhtml

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

I think cousins has a barrel for the 7s26a

That's expensive for the watch in question. I suggest that you try to get parts of little cost, there are many cheap and honest sellers on Ebay. If you can't find anything suitable PM your address and I'll send free of charge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavidMasters said:

Typical work from India. Either the seller was in India or they have a straw seller...

I've heard of Mumbai Specials. I've bought a Favre Leuba that was full of rubbish inside from roadside bazaar before.

But tell me more about this operations. Is it an international syndicate or just some small time crook trying to make a buck?

7 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

But tell me more about this operations. Is it an international syndicate or just some small time crook trying to make a buck?

Neither one, is just dealers from a poor country doing their honest best to satisfy buyers scouring for the lowest price all the time. They still have large inventory of discarded, used or even new parts since when India has a domestic watch industry, to expect that they can provide quality or great deals is just unreasonable.

Edited by jdm

I guess as jdm says they are dealers trying to make a living by cobbling watches together from a heap of scrappers, what you buy is probably a Seiko 5 , 7s26 or whatever but the bits that make it up can be from several watches. So in the end what you get is a seiko but of un known origin. Bombay specials are just that you pay your money and take a chance.   Good luck Hector

54 minutes ago, jdrichard said:

I have purchased a few of these for the balance or mainspring. Generally junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you understand up front what you are doing it can be a great place for parts watches. India could be the world's leading parts supplier.

I beginning to believe that my watch is another Mumbai Special. Whatever made the mainspring barrel lose a couple of teeth surely would have done some damage to the 2nd wheel. But it was perfectly good. So the parts probably didn't belong to 1 watch. 

Anyway, I cleaned it up and fired it up. And it's running. I think when it gets to the missing tooth, it just slips and jumps to the next tooth.

I've also managed to flatten out the crinkles in the dial. Now I just have to solder on a new dial foot and get a dial spacer and new crystal, and it be good to go. :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

• Like 2

I spent the whole of yesterday fabricating a dial spacer out of a piece of ABS plastic.

Today while cleaning up the crystal to see if it was salvagable, I found something strange that appeared to be super glued to the armoured ring of the crystal. After carefully prying it loose and soaking it in acetone, I discovered that it was the missing dial spacer.:pulling-hair-out:

What kind of fool super glues the dial spacer to the watch crystal? :thumbsd:

• Like 1

Now I just have to solder on a new dial foot

Please be aware that if you try to use a soldering iron for that that will most likely mar the dial. That is why a special electrical machine is used for that.

30 minutes ago, jdm said:

Please be aware that if you try to use a soldering iron for that that will most likely mar the dial. That is why a special electrical machine is used for that.

Yes I know. I have 2 dental spot welding/soldering machines that are capable of doing the job. 1 uses an AC current at about 4-5V. The other 1 uses a DC current with a timed pulse. Both use carbon electrodes. 

I've watch several YouTube videos on dial soldering. There is something I'm not quite sure of. Does current pass through the dial as well or is it only through the copper wire/dial foot?

• 4 weeks later...