Old Watchmakers bench - buy or not

JerseyMo

I have the opportunity to purchase an old watchmakers bench.  It has many issues such as the top boards have become undone, the back panel has been cut out. Alos two or three draws on the bottom right were taken out long ago and replace with a single door.  Over all its a restore project and as much as it would add a certain touch to my work area the question is do I really need to have it?

I know the answer is no I don't really need it but these chances don't come up to often.  Plus there is question of how much to pay.  Looking online I see new can be had for maybe $350.

Maybe $100? for this one. Sorry no picture.

So if you had the opportunity to get an old bench would you?

Hi JerseyMo    Like everything you don't need now when its gone you could do with it.  Me  I would go for it depending on price and do it up, then re asses the situation do I keep or do I sell, with me it I keep, One day I will have a clear out, Maybe.   Decisions,   decisions.   all the best and keep safe.  cheers

51 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi JerseyMo    Like everything you don't need now when its gone you could do with it.  Me  I would go for it depending on price and do it up, then re asses the situation do I keep or do I sell, with me it I keep, One day I will have a clear out, Maybe.   Decisions,   decisions.   all the best and keep safe.  cheers

Yes, I know the chance won't come around again.  and besides it give me another project!

12 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

As long as you don't end up spending twice the price on pest control sprays.

no, this is in my friends shop and has been sitting there for at least a year and half. any creepy crawlers would have vacated by now.

• Thanks 1

I agree that pictures of some type would be very helpful, if not necessary to get an opinion on whether or not you should buy it.

I bought an old bench from a jeweler over 20 years ago for $100. It's not a furniture piece, as it's mostly plywood. Drawer fronts are plywood. Butt-joint(?) plywood drawer frames. It's also missing the vertical guards that help decrease the chance of losing flying parts into the ether. Overall, it's a utility piece. But it was definitely worth the money. Heck, it even had some tools in it, along with a nice gold-filled 18s faux box-hinge hunting case pocket watch case in it.

So if it's utilitarian piece that's all there and sits at the proper height for comfortable watch work, $100 isn't bad. At the very least, you might be able to use it as a dedicated lathe bench or something. That might be what the jeweler used mine for all those years ago. Good luck with your decision.

well I knew what the option of everyone would be and that is to buy it.  Now the issue is the restriction that I'd have to travel to get it. So I'll make my offer and say I'll pick it up when things settle down.  Of course my friend enticed me by saying he set aside 3 bags of watches for me.

So let me see, get a few hundred watches to play with or catch hell from the Mrs?  Under any other conditions, I would already have the watches in hand.....

13 hours ago, yankeedog said:

Of course  your Mrs.Is going to frown  upon it.That's a given. As to price? As  this is a friend. Pay him fairly,no need  to insult anyone. But if you go to see it,you really  ought  to buy it.

wormy wood falls apart,   buy new.   vin

• 4 weeks later...

well here it is. Lots of work to be done but this is going to be a great addition.  You can see the back panel was cut out, a shelf was added and the lower door is not correct.  But, what would a project be without a few challenges?

bench.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, watchweasol said:

That looks like one canny bench there Mo, Once restore to health  It will be a beauty.  Have fun and enjoy.  What did you buy For Mrs Mo in way of placation. The promise of an evening meal at an expensive restraunt.

she just asked how much I spent and I told her it was paid for with my watch sales.  I did start the cleanup and will begin a new thread of the restore.  When picking this up I was also given many boxes filled with more items to sell. so in the end the bench will cost me my time.