Seiko 7006 5000 Can't Remove Stem

I have a Seiko 7006 5000 that has the odd case—TV dial shaped. I know there is a lever located in the notch at the 2:00 position but I've tried for two days to get the stem out with no luck. Is the dial on this watch screwed on? I was about to remove the hands and lift the dial off, but I suspect it is screwed on. The only alternative left is to cut the stem and replace it. I would really like to keep the stem intact if possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards...

IMG_2620.jpg

Are you pressing on the lever from the dial side? If so that’s your problem. There is a hole that you can stick a needle or pointed object into from the back of the movement. The dial is held on by screws which can be located around the edges of the movement you will know them when you see them because you will see the dial feet right next to them. If you can’t get stem out then you will have to dismantle the keyless works and the hands and dial must come off in order to do that. And that will 100% need to be done if the keys are locked, can you still click the the stem in and out? And if you do get the stem loose make sure the stem is clicked in before you pull it out and do so gently so the keys don’t lock on you

Edited by saswatch88

Thanks, but this is the Seiko that comes out with the case back attached. The face of the case lifts off leaving the movement incased in the case back. There is a tiny hole in the dial side at the 2:00 position that allows you to take a tiny pick or screw driver to depress the lever. This is a very odd Seiko and many have not had experience with these watches.

Edited by DavidMasters

The only way I see is to try to carefully rise the movement over the edge and see if it's possible to access and turn the eccentrics. Be carefull not to take off the dial feet, it's easier to find a new stem/crown than soldering the feet again.

3 hours ago, aac58 said:

The only way I see is to try to carefully rise the movement over the edge and see if it's possible to access and turn the eccentrics. Be carefull not to take off the dial feet, it's easier to find a new stem/crown than soldering the feet again.

2 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi David I have attached the tech sheet for the seiko 7006  there is a note on it regarding stem removal. Hope you find it of some use.

598_Seiko7006A.pdf 243.23 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks to both of you. You two know of the actual watch I am having problems with. It appears the lever is extended when the crown is pulled out, but under heavy loupe I do not see the lever—probably a problem left by the previous hands in the movement.

I will no doubt make more work for myself if I break the dial feet, so on to the cutting tool and the removal of the stem. I will show a picture once off...

Regards.

Not the outcome I was looking for. While trying to pry the dial I broke a foot, but I was able to get to the lever. The red arrow points to the lever that should be pressed down through the notch at the 2:00 position on the dial. That lever then pushes UP on the lever pointed to by the blue arrow. However, the red arrow lever was/is frozen which made it impossible to remove the stem. After I got the dial off I was able to pry UP on the blue arrow lever and remove the stem. 

If someone in the future needs to remove a stem I suggest bending a small screw driver blade. Pull the stem all the way out which extends the blue arrow lever. Insert the screw driver toward the stem day/date window and attempt to pry up on the blue arrow lever. None of these parts are visible via loupe through the notch.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

Regards.

IMG_2625.JPG

IMG_2624.jpg

1 hour ago, Watchtime said:

Finally....:thumbsu: dialfeet are plenty on Ebay, in the worst case use a dialdot

Dial Dots are in the way back part of my desk, so I'm ready. I hate using dots, but they work. Since all the watches I work on are mine and will never leave I don't mind once in a while. I've also used 3M double-sided tape trimmed to the proper size.

Thanks.

Edited by DavidMasters

On 4/11/2020 at 12:11 AM, DavidMasters said:

Dial Dots are in the way back part of my desk, so I'm ready. I hate using dots, but they work. Since all the watches I work on are mine and will never leave I don't mind once in a while. I've also used 3M double-sided tape trimmed to the proper size.

Thanks.

Hi David, I'm also working on a Seiko 7006. But mine is a conventional backloader, not a frontloader like yours.

My watch also has a broken dial foot. I did consider using a dial dot. But there is hardly anywhere to place the dot. How do you intend to place a dial dot?

On 4/13/2020 at 8:52 AM, HectorLooi said:

Hi David, I'm also working on a Seiko 7006. But mine is a conventional backloader, not a frontloader like yours.

My watch also has a broken dial foot. I did consider using a dial dot. But there is hardly anywhere to place the dot. How do you intend to place a dial dot?

The case on my 7006-5000 has the benefit of a press fitted crystal/gasket. After I placed the movement back in the Back case, I laid on the rubber gasket and sat the crystal in place. Placing the Front case on the movement/Back case and pressing into place there is a tight press fit, so, the dial will not move even without feet. I happen to have some 3M double sided tape here and I cut a tiny strip—maybe less than 1 MM—just to hold the crystal until it was in the case. That was how I approached it.

In your situation I have taken a tiny dot of hot glue and applied to the movement/dial side in two places. This is a controversial solution but it has worked for me.

Someday I'm going to learn to soldier feet in place since it happens often. 

I wish I had a better solution. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Regards

Edited by DavidMasters

Hi Dial feet are easier than you think  look for a book by Wesley R Door on retro fitting , I build my own unit , not difficult comes under the heading of cold soldering using a spot arc at the solder point no harm to the dial.

Quoting this for future reference, thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro