Seiko 7009 escapement

I can't get the escape wheel to stay put in my 7009....I see the jewels it's supposed to sit in on the barrel and train wheel bridge, but when I assemble, turn the barrel, all the wheels move except the escape which just sits there all flimsy and limp....I have watched many videos, and I have assembled and disassembled the movement many times to no avail.

Help...Please...

thanks,

warren

Check side shake on escape pivots, excess end shake indicates a broken pivot or pivot gets out of jewel hole. Damaged tooth on third wheel or escape pinion or its jewels can cause this. Pallets can also get locked. You may end up taking out the balance and fork for good access to the escape and to check the fork arbour and pallers up close.

Hi  first thing to check is the pivots on the escape wheel you may have one or both broken hence hanging limp.       Did we miss your introduction?   also please post photos of the movement front and back and or the caliber number and makers mark in future questions as it helps us diagnose and find tech sheets,  thank you        cheers

• Like 1

What I do is this:

- Before putting the bridge over the wheels I get sure that the pinion of the escape wheel is resting on the 4th wheel. It has a tendency to lean against the 3th wheel, which is not right.

- I put the bridge, get sure it's aligned with the barrel arbour and the 3 posts on the main plate. I softly hold the bridge in place with a pegwood stick and test the wheels turning the barrel.

- Usually all of them will turn, except sometimes the escape wheel. If that's the case, I release the pressure of the pegwood stick and carefully hit the sides of the movement holder with the back of the tweezers. Test again, it will probably be in place now. Maybe you need to repeat a couple of times.

This works for me.

Edited by aac58
  • Like 1

Thanks to all who have answered....I've enclosed photos of the movement and the escapement.   I have looked at the jewels under a microscope and they appear to be OK....I think the photo that shows the little gear on the end of the escapement may have a small pinion broken off.

I am new to watch repair.  I've only worked on Seiko 6309's which went very well and now I started on the 7009's just to get a feel of things.

Thanks for all the responses.

Warren

20200409_114400.jpg

20200409_114417.jpg

20200409_114315.jpg

20200409_114259.jpg

Hi yes the pivots are missing, the only re course is a new escape wheel either  from a material house (cousinsuk) or a donor watch on ebay.  Never tighten the bridge screws down untill you are well sure the pivots are in. Run the screws in slack untill they just hold the bridge and then work the wheels into place, checking that they lift and drop cleanly then keep on checking as the screws are turned in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Duner9 said:

I am new to watch repair.  I've only worked on Seiko 6309's which went very well and now I started on the 7009's just to get a feel of things.

When you're new to watch repair is usually good to practice with something bigger like a pocket watch. Don't even worry about whether it runs are not just practice taking it apart and putting it back together lots of times. If you take the approach of learning as you go especially starting on smaller watch there is liable to be accidents. 

• Like 1

Ipso facto, and much thanks to everyone on this forum for the great information.

I reposted the photos of the first escape wheel which I had trouble fitting between the main bridge and the train and barrel bridge.  Many said that a pinion was broken off the wheel. 

Today I received another 7009a copy and photographed the new escape wheel on the left and the old one on the right together and it clearly shows the problem.

20200409_114400.jpg

20200409_114417.jpg

20200410_200436.jpg

20200410_200549.jpg

Did you test the donor movement before stripping it down to get your part? Hopefully you did and you can now use the powers of deduction and the fact that you now have two of everything to see what’s wrong.

Was the pallet fork flicking back and forth with a touch before you installed your balance?

If it was this would put the blame squarely on the balance ok

I did test the pallet fork, but I did not test the donor movement before I stripped it down.  

I know now what I did wrong...those little pinions on the tips of the escape wheel are so thin and delicate, I'm sure that I broke it when sandwiching the wheel between the main plate and the barrel and train wheel bridge.

Thanks for your response,.