Dial wear and tear

Hello, I am new to the forum, and am looking forward to learning from the experiences and expertise held by everyone here, so thanks for having me! 
I have acquired a Rolex Oyster Speedking, circa 1964, that appears to run well. However, I have noticed that there is some wear to the edge of the dial between the 10 and 12 area. It looks to be dry, but wondered if it is a result of staining, moisture or oil from the movement? Also, would it be some that is likely to deteriorate? I have attempted to attach a photo, which is probably the best way to describe my question. Thanks again for your help. Ally

B8C530C2-E188-4818-BEE2-46ECEAE1FC0B.jpeg

2 hours ago, AllyK83 said:

I have acquired a Rolex Oyster Speedking, circa 1964, that appears to run well.

Even it runs well, not knowing its service history or a least looking on a timegrapher or equivalent application will expose you to the risk that is running on dried oils, that will increase a lot the wear of pivots and stones and may cause expensive repairs at a later time, so if you intend to have it running and preserve its value the best would be to bring it to reputable watchmaker for a full service.

However, I have noticed that there is some wear to the edge of the dial between the 10 and 12 area. It looks to be dry, but wondered if it is a result of staining, moisture or oil from the movement?

I think it's simply the old base or paint decaying and flaking off. You should check if it is at least stable because having debris around wouldn't be good at all.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AllyK83 said:

Thanks for the replies and advice. In your opinion, is the dial repairable, without a complete redial being necessary? Thanks 

It all depends when the watch is out of its case. There could be a little flaking that we don't see. I would still say yes.