Ingersoll twisted hairspring

If coning a video of side view when runing, otherwise I take the balance complete out, a pic of top view( cock side) to sbow coil circles and side view to show levelness. You may come to removing the hairspring, not before seeing the pix however.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to practice, practice, practice on hairsprings which you do not mind destroying completely. If you've never done this before, the difference between knowing what to do and actually being able to do it is enormous. The chances are you will make it much worse (out-of-round as well as out-of-flat) by doing the wrong thing in the wrong place.

It looks like the hairspring is touching the underside of the cock, opposite the stud. Is that right? If so, what Nucejoe is suggesting might work, but you will need a very good pair of tweezers with very fine tips (Bergeon 5) and a steady hand. Make a series of small adjustments and check your progress.

• Thanks 1

Stud ok now, check if stud is fit tight in the hold. Hairspeing touches the cock. Use tweezers to bend hairspring near its end where it is connected to stud, bend to get a perfect flat coil. Lucky the coil's inner circles look undamaged' you'd have a good hairspri g.

Ok thanks both of you I will give it a go, and yes hairspring is touching cock, as for tweezers just starting out repairing watches so only brought budget tweezers Vetus ST10 & ST14 will they do.

Sorry, not Bergeon, Dumont No.5!

I'm not familiar with the Vetus tweezers, but the ST-14 looks a similar shape to the Dumont No.5, except the drawing I found shows slightly rounded tips. That worries me a bit because any width at the tip will squeeze a flat spot on the  hairspring and throw it out-of-round.

That's why the Dumonts are indispensible for hairspring work in my opinion. Very slender and sharp tips which meet perfectly and don't cross when you squeeze them together. Expensive, but worth the money.

Wooooahhhh, don’t touch the hairspring yet.

remove the balance complete, turn it over, does the spring lay flat when off the watch, are all the coils equally spaced apart?

Have you cleaned it in essence of Renata or similar, I’ve just had the same thing almost on a Seiko 11A and the hair spring had somehow got the tiniest bit of lube on it somehow and had gummed up a few coils causing it twist up like yours. I also demagnetised the balance complete aswell.

So first off mate take the balance complete out the movement and see if the hair spring lays flat. That’s your start point ok 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sabre said:

I think I have got it wrong it's not a twisted hairspring but a coned one.

Have you removed the balance complete from the movement yet and taken a photo to show us the hairspring when off the movement?

Whilst it is off the movement it will tell you a great deal than just surmising what’s wrong with it whilst it’s fitted mate

Give the movement’s caliber and a picture of the lower jewel assembly. Dose balance lower pivot turn in a cup instead of jewel or is this the remain of a broken pivot, I presume the later as it is a five jeweler.  Coning of hairspring is best seen whilst in oscillation, that is inside the movement. If broken pivot your best bet is to replace the complete balance.