Stem tube broken

Hi All

I'm a beginner.  This is an Elgin 344.  The tube stem is broken off with the remainder still stuck in the crown.  I've never dealt with this before.  Can it be repaired at the beginner level?  What tools are required?

Many thanks

Charlie

IMG_4620.thumb.JPG.f42a1ed544db1c54bfce2a762fb9d491.JPG

IMG_4617.thumb.JPG.731ea5cd8dfe85f116890d4593eb303b.JPG

IMG_4625.thumb.JPG.f8134df2e39e1bbfdd570e715ad78dea.JPG

IMG_4626.thumb.JPG.6a455385291bef054528496bbc67f025.JPG

IMG_4628.thumb.JPG.8bccb01db11afbe51ff1dc3e4ac484bb.JPG

Hi Charlie  It the tube is broken off in the case you will need to drift it out from the inside with a brass punch.  Check before hand that it is not a screwed in variety, most were pressed in . As these were fitted to the case in the factory and wether they can be obtained as a spare part I do not know. with the use of a lathe one could be made to fit...  There are porpose made tools for removing these tubes, chesk with Esslingers or Jules Borel.

3 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Charlie  It the tube is broken off in the case you will need to drift it out from the inside with a brass punch.  Check before hand that it is not a screwed in variety, most were pressed in . As these were fitted to the case in the factory and wether they can be obtained as a spare part I do not know. with the use of a lathe one could be made to fit...  There are porpose made tools for removing these tubes, chesk with Esslingers or Jules Borel.

Is this the right tool? https://tinyurl.com/qsbp7ys

Thank you

I have removed tubes by just by gently turning a cutting broach inside the tube. Maybe I have been lucky but all of the tubes I have changed twisted out real easy. I pushed the new tubes in by adding a touch of loctite first & just pushing in the new with an appropriate size punch. 

check if it is screwed in or press fitted as watchweasol said, probably pressed. If you have a staking set, you can use that to get the remaining piece of tube out. if it comes out in one piece, measure the diameter and look on ebay for Clark watch parts, they might have a good solution, or some chinese sellers offer a variety of different tubes and stems assortment

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Watchtime said:

I mean using a fitting stake to drift it out, the case surely won't fit the staking set

Oh, in that case even a small bolt will do if the tip is shaped correctly. Assuming is a parallel tube as mentioned above. 

2 hours ago, jdm said:

You know, thinking better I recommend against trying to push from the outside in any case. Good rule is having things leaving the way they went in. One could even consider getting a tool for that

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000014322393.html

Thanks.  I've not ordered from aliexpress.  Suspect it's a chinese version of the Horotec tool in the above link.  The Horotec costs $130 more.  Is it worth the extra?  I'd hate to wait a month for the chinese tool and then have it break at first attempt.

Thank you

Charlie

6 minutes ago, Lc130 said:

Thanks.  I've not ordered from aliexpress.  Suspect it's a chinese version of the Horotec tool in the above link.  The Horotec costs $130 more.  Is it worth the extra?  I'd hate to wait a month for the chinese tool and then have it break at first attempt.

I don't have that tool. We have many topics running about Chinese tools in general, about this here we would be just guessing. It's really up to each one to decide if to spend $60, $190, or almost nothing to remove a broken tube.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Watchtime said:

ad carefully try drilling it out?...not the best but if nothing is left?

The most common method I've seen, and what I also do myself is to drift it out with a punch like watchweasol suggests. The tapping action as you hit the punch with a light hammer usually unseats the pendant tube quite easily.

On 4/7/2020 at 3:14 PM, rodabod said:

The most common method I've seen, and what I also do myself is to drift it out with a punch like watchweasol suggests. The tapping action as you hit the punch with a light hammer usually unseats the pendant tube quite easily.

Is it punched out from the inside or outside of the case?  If inside, the punch would have to be at an angle.  Does that create a problem?  What is the specific tool used?

Thank you

Charlie

Hi Charlie  Done carefully with a punch is no problem as long as you are careful and work on the edge of the tube turning the watch as you do so. The method advocated by clockboy is also painless as the broach grips the tube and with a twisting action and drawing the tub out.  For a one off the tool is an expensive luxury and may never be used again.

14 hours ago, Lc130 said:

If inside, the punch would have to be at an angle.  Does that create a problem?

Yes, as in that wrong approach would not work.

14 hours ago, Lc130 said:

What is the specific tool used?

Linked above from AliX and I think you had located the original product already.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 9:56 PM, Lc130 said:

Is it punched out from the inside or outside of the case?  If inside, the punch would have to be at an angle.  Does that create a problem?  What is the specific tool used?

From the inside. I’ve attached a photo of a Longines WWW which I’m currently working on. The pendant tube was broken. It is unique on this model, so I am turning a new one on a lathe. The punch is from a staking set. 

51C240A3-D016-4DA6-899A-ACC38C3F6209.jpeg

I should add that you tap the punch with a lightweight wooden hammer, or a very light metal hammer. There is very little force applied. Similarly, when re-inserting a new pendant tube, if it doesn’t seat fully from pressing alone, then I will slowly tap until it is seated, possibly with some sort of buffer like boxwood to protect the end of the tube.