Thomas Earnshaw ES 8059 stop working

Hallo. My Thomas Earnshaw ES 8059 automatic watch stop working. I did some research so basically company is using Chinese parts… however It is a gift from very important person and I also love design of watch so I really want to keep it.

It does not responds to winder, only when I “shake” left/right it, it starts working but only for 5-10 minutes.
Any idea if this can be fixed??
Also I am interesting in, what movement it has… I tried to find info, but I cant get it.  

Thank you all. 

The most popular cause for a watch to stop is dirt. Before we tell you how to go about checking the movement, we need to see the watch, so could you post a photo of the front, back and side of the watch please. That way we can advise you on how to get to the movement. 

We like new members to post an introduction about yourself. Take care. 

Hello ffar and welcome to the forum. I don't know if you are intending to contribute to the forum or if this is a one-off query, but either way, please go to the lounge area and write a short introduction to yourself and your interest in clocks and watches. You will get a better response from the other members if you follow the forum rules and conventions.

It doesn't sound like there is much wrong with your watch that a clean and some fresh oil won't fix. It may be just the rotor bearing which is sticking. Does the watch hand-wind?

Re identification: a photo will help us a lot.

• Thanks 1

Hallo. I wrote walcome message. I am sorry that I did not do it on first pleace. 
Here are pictures of my watch:
Front - 
https://www.fotosik.pl/zdjecie/828753ef84be4d39
BACK - https://www.fotosik.pl/zdjecie/399000be14e6a9f6 

@Watchtime it does not look like movement i have. As you can see whole mechanism is cover. 

Today I wind watch manually again. Interesting thing because, It did not respond for manual winding crown, however when I pull it out to set up time watch start running. I set up proper time (went twice around), and I left it without moving. It last 4 hours.
Also I noticed after I was winding it again after 4 hours, again when I was trying to use crown for that, watch did not respond, but as soon as I pull out crown for time set up mode and made slight move, watch start running again full speed. I am leaving it for night without move, will see how long it will last.

I also contact company for service.

Hello  Maciej, thanks for introducing yourself.

With the crown pushed all the way in, when you turn it backwards and forwards, does it make a clicking sound? If it does, then you should be able to manual wind it. However, you say it does not respond. If it makes no sound and you can't feel a ratchet working, then it doesn't manual wind, only automatic.

In your photo of the back of the watch, that plate with the stripes on it is the rotor. It is the movement of this eccentric weight which slowly winds the watch when it is on your arm, everytime you move. It takes about a day of wearing to wind the mainspring up fully. Does this weight rotate freely, when you tilt the watch back and forth? If you do this gently, but enough to spin the rotor, for about a minute, does the watch start to run? If it does, strap the watch to your wrist and wear it for the rest of the day, then let us know what happened.

You say you have contacted the company for service. Is it a new watch? If it is still under warranty, and not working properly, get it fixed that way.

As far as identifying the movement is concerned, HSL and Watchtime are right. If you follow the link Watchtime posted, it's the S-05 movement in your watch.

• Thanks 1

Thank you. Weird thing happened. I did open watch and basically remove rotor, and put it back. It is straight away much less stiff and easier to rotate. Yes when I was moving left and right and rotor was working, eventually watch respond, but it does not last long…
When I move crown up it is does sound and it is bit harder to move it upfront than backwards(backwards look like it is loose totally).

Yesterday I was moving forward for long time and eventually watch responded. I left it for night without moving at all and it lasted 25h that’s sounds really good.

I also notice that even if watch is not responding(or maybe I did not do it long enough 30+ times moves) due to manual, after winding it manually as soon as I pull out crown to “setup time mode” and do slightest move forward to set up time, watch starts working.

I did again long winding, like yesterday and I put watch into Winder box. We will see how it will go.

Thank you very much for all responds.

OK, it sounds like you have solved a problem with the rotor, whatever it was. Now it should wind up efficiently when you wear it or running on the winder. Did you take a picture when you had the rotor off?

It is normal for the crown to be harder to turn in one direction than the other. The crown only winds the mainspring in one direction. The other direction is a ratchet, like pedalling backwards on a bicycle.

Why the watch should respond to you changing from winding mode to setting mode I don't know, unless there is too much friction in the motion works, which you temporarily alleviate by moving the hands. Also, if a balance is out of beat they can be reluctant to start swinging, so that might be a factor, and this S-05 movement has a twin balance, so that is extra-complicated. I would need to see it first-hand to have a chance of understanding how they interact.

It sounds like it needs at least a clean and fresh lubrication. If it is still under warranty, keep badgering the shop or manufacturer for repair or replacement.

• Thanks 1

no loose screws or mvt clamps in the mvt?

"as soon as I pull out crown to “setup time mode” and do slightest move forward to set up time, watch starts working. " this is the important part but I lack the knowledge to determine what can cause this...

Edited by Watchtime
  • Thanks 1

Hallo there. Sorry for not replying for a while.

@Klassiker 

@Watchtime

I was “testing” watch. And fingers-cross it is all fine now. I guess this rotor loose did a job.
Watch without nothing can stay 24+h. I put it to winder, and it works so far (over 36h) However I will get it to watchmaker to make some cleaning and do some lubrication. 

No, I did not make picture, but I should. Next time I will remember.

On 4/8/2020 at 8:10 AM, Watchtime said:

no loose screws or mvt clamps in the mvt?

I don't know. I don't think so. 

Thank you for responding.