Memento Mori Skull

AndyHull

I just spotted this in my ebay feed

A fascinatingly detailed memento mori fusee desk watch/clock.

s-l1600.jpg

Somewhat macabre especially given the current world problems, and I'm not sure whether it should be classed as a watch or a clock, although the listing suggests it is a pocket watch.

Listing 324105822505 and a similar item in listing 323050760669 if you are interested.

Edited by AndyHull

11 hours ago, AndyHull said:

Somewhat macabre especially given the current world problems, and I'm not sure whether it should be classed as a watch or a clock

It should be classed as a fake this Bulgaria seller has been altering and modifying watches for years and attributing false provenance to them, he takes high end watches and alters the cases and adds prints to the dials of some historic figure claiming its a official gift or award given to someone thus inflating the asking price.

• 3 weeks later...

My personal favorite is the seller or seller's on eBay liquidating museums in strange European countries. Often times with prices which you would associate with a museum piece. I always wondered who would be stupid enough to purchase one. One day at work my boss was excited about this repeater that came in. As part of the procedure of taking in items we always ask the customer what their piece is valued at and I believe this was 16,000. Then was the movement vintage yes but? It was broken not unfixable but just extremely expensive to fix parts would have to be remanufactured. It was in a case of a very bizarre construction and they definitely were not meant to go together. So somebody just piece things together.

12 minutes ago, Orologi67 said:

Thats high but this one appears to be a real antique

One of the problems with your observation is possibly the movement is antique but of no value at all. Then all the rest of it if it is antique is bits and pieces of stuff the whole thing is basically garbage as far as value. Oh wait I'm wrong it's not garbage if one fool buys any of this somebody made some money.