Click ball trouble!

10 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  a little grease and plenty of patience.  Work inside a large plastic bag that way if the ball goes AWOL you have the little bugger cornered.   Attached a couple of files you may find of interest.

03. Casing Guide seiko.pdf 25.09 MB · 0 downloads 3128_Seiko 7548A.pdf 1.36 MB · 0 

Whst grease is best for this?

A ball supplied by Seiko is several $$. You could buy a  bag of 100 1mm stainless steel bearings from Amazon or eBay for the same amount.   Given how easily they launch, do you want just one?

Ball point pen balls are tungsten and rough to hold ink.  They work for awhile until they  cut  groove in the rotating ring.

1 minute ago, bklake said:

A ball supplied by Seiko is several $$. You could buy a  bag of 100 1mm stainless steel bearings from Amazon or eBay for the same amount.   Given how easily they launch, do you want just one?

Ball point pen balls are tungsten and rough to hold ink.  They work for awhile until they  cut  groove in the rotating ring.

I am looking at a bag of 7 for 5 dollars on ebay. Didnt know that ballpoint pen balls are tungsten!

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 6:51 AM, bklake said:

This is true if you plan to go diving and use the bezel many times a day. If it is a modern day watch that you probably play with the bezel for fun every 3 weeks - tungsten is fine.

I've replaced a few like that and its fine.

If the postal service wasn't messed up I'd post you a steel ball. Cheers. Alex

1mm is the spec often mentioned on Seiko forums.  That is the size I use.  I'm just a hobbyist

Before you get too far, make sure the ball isn't buried in the hole.  They get rusted into place.  You should be able to probe the hole at least a few mm.  The spring may be similarly caked in with crud and rust. 

Finally, the ball will no longer be captured by the crimp. Have fun getting it to stay.  Another reason you buy them by the 100s not singles.  A spring bar spring is not nearly strong enough but it will work.  The Seiko replacement spring is a lot thicker and stronger than you expect to see.