Hi everyone, was super delighted to see how responsive this community is... I am resolving the 1st issue with my Slava watch and now I am confident I can get some help with my Molnya 3602

-I took it apart and noticed the balance spring is a little uneven and does not go back and forth... I took the bridge off (one screw) took out the balance wheel and spring attached but did not see anything wrong, out it back and the same issue pessimists.

I need help understanding if the balance wheel is properly installed and / or needs replacement to get the mechanism to function.

checked all other parts and main spring is good. Would help if I can also find the front crystal/glass and an authentic face. 

Molnya 3602 back.JPG

Molnya 3602.JPG

Molnya balance 2.JPG

Molnya 3602 balance 1.JPG

When you rebuilt the movement did you put each wheel in one at a time then the top plate to see if each wheel turned freely when a blower was puffed on them? Once each wheel is in place and runs freely then put the next wheel in the train and do the same again ie centre wheel, then centre wheel and fourth wheel etc until you are sure the train runs freely.
its a long process but ensures the train is good and narrows down to where your problem sits. The balance. And escapement, if the problem is actually there. Test the train first ok.

The overcoil / terminal curve on your hair spring is way out of shape and doesn't appear to be between the regulator pins.

DSC_5661.thumb.JPG.c20f33ecf72565f92cf1a6393f414e7b.JPG

The overcoil should cross over the top of the body of the hair spring (arrow A) and pass between the regulator pins (arrow B).

Yours appears to go around the outside of the body of the hair spring rather like the terminal curve on a flat h/s and completely misses the regulator.

Edited by Marc
added pic
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Klassiker said:

What exactly is happening with the balance wheel? Is it not swinging at all, swinging normally at first but coming to a rapid stop, or swinging erratically?

It swinging normally at first but coming to a stop after a couple of swings...

15 hours ago, Marc said:

The overcoil / terminal curve on your hair spring is way out of shape and doesn't appear to be between the regulator pins.

DSC_5661.thumb.JPG.c20f33ecf72565f92cf1a6393f414e7b.JPG

The overcoil should cross over the top of the body of the hair spring (arrow A) and pass between the regulator pins (arrow B).

Yours appears to go around the outside of the body of the hair spring rather like the terminal curve on a flat h/s and completely misses the regulator.

I tinkered with the spring and the balance started to work but only when I hold the watch at ~30 degree angle... if I lay it flat it stops. Also I noticed that the balance wheel has play, is this normal and by how much? 

IMG_1622.JPG

IMG_1625.JPG

5 hours ago, Domovoy said:

I tinkered with the spring and the balance started to work but only when I hold the watch at ~30 degree angle... if I lay it flat it stops. Also I noticed that the balance wheel has play, is this normal and by how much? 

IMG_1625.JPG

You have a broken pivot. It's a common breakage on these older movements without shock protection.

10 hours ago, AlexeiJ1 said:

You probably have a broken balance staff as well.
Inspect the pivots with a 20x loupe. They should be roughly same length on both sides.

May be easier to fit a new wheel than to re-staff it.

Thanks, I will be replacing the entire balance unit, any idea where to source the parts ?