Timex Alchemy - 1970 Electric Diver Upgrade

JerseyMo

I'm quickly becoming a Timex Electric addict. Learning to service these. Easier than citizen Cosmotrons and Seiko Elnix, but fiddly to get the balance in with that magnet and contact Spring and pallet fork all fighting me! Only the fixed magnet versions with the crown on the rear. First tear down to remind me how to put it together. 

IMG_20200310_083943.jpg

IMG_20200310_084409.jpg

IMG_20200401_145136.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/1/2020 at 5:05 PM, Melt said:

I'm quickly becoming a Timex Electric addict. Learning to service these. Easier than citizen Cosmotrons and Seiko Elnix, but fiddly to get the balance in with that magnet and contact Spring and pallet fork all fighting me! Only the fixed magnet versions with the crown on the rear. First tear down to remind me how to put it together. 

yes, the Electric models are interesting.

JerseyMo you seem to be the timex electric go to person.

Some questions please

Like a coil does the balance coil have a ohms resistance that makes it unusable or usable.

I have found with my meter that if I go from positive to negative terminal and tweak the balance if it reads something its usable and if not it's probably garbage if spring makes good contact on balance. Any other tests?

I also found some balance and cocks work and have less end play in some movements than others. I'm guess the white jewel is broken in the mainplate maybe.

How does one hold the movement when replacing the bridge as the calendar plate side secures the 3 screws. It's a bit fiddly and I've serviced Seiko movements far easier and quicker but I guess it was my first go at an electric!

Q. I have found with my meter that if I go from positive to negative terminal and tweak the balance if it reads something its usable and if not it's probably garbage if spring makes good contact on balance.

A. This is the best test I know of. It will show you if the circuit is complete and if it opens and closes.

Q. I also found some balance and cocks work and have less end play in some movements than others. I'm guess the white jewel is broken in the mainplate maybe.

A. There are several 'electric' models. and the balance assembly is not compatible across them in most cases.  For example you can't use a Dynabeat on an Electric.

Q. How does one hold the movement when replacing the bridge as the calendar plate side secures the 3 screws.

Which movement are you referring to?

OK I have an m62 movement and it's not running but the one in the picture is, but not sure what movement but it's from a no day date dial. So can I swap day date dial plate over? If so how do you stop Bridge popping off when you remove the 3 screws? Is it just a case of be careful or is there a better way? 

15863430905461698925582626067739.jpg

1586343138048544240538195625654.jpg

15863431622496727065420521211565.jpg

1 hour ago, Melt said:

OK I have an m62 movement and it's not running but the one in the picture is, but not sure what movement but it's from a no day date dial. So can I swap day date dial plate over? If so how do you stop Bridge popping off when you remove the 3 screws? Is it just a case of be careful or is there a better way? 

15863430905461698925582626067739.jpg

1586343138048544240538195625654.jpg

15863431622496727065420521211565.jpg

the day date is a model 262 and the other movement looks to be a 40.  I don't know all the interchangeable parts with the electric models. What I do know is although the parts may seem alike they may not be.  I comes to mind that there is a notation in one of the service manuals that the internal wheels are not compatible between models.  Which that is I don't remember, so advise that what you are attempting is not likely to work.  

Forgive me for my ignorance but I'm currently working on a model 71. It seems like its trying to start but can't keep running. I tried cleaning the contents as much as I can while I wait for the necessary tools to come in to remove the dial with no real success. My immediate question is how many volts does it require to run? It has a new battery but it only has 1.2v where I'd expect 1.5v. Unfortunately it's a 393 so I don't have any spares to try. 

IMG_20200411_184050.thumb.jpg.fcbc68902f6b1b6af70c49fc53062b14.jpgIMG_20200411_211821.thumb.jpg.324a520157cee9ef02af4a0a223ba5e2.jpg

3 hours ago, DraconianWatchCollector said:

Forgive me for my ignorance but I'm currently working on a model 71. It seems like its trying to start but can't keep running. I tried cleaning the contents as much as I can while I wait for the necessary tools to come in to remove the dial with no real success. My immediate question is how many volts does it require to run? It has a new battery but it only has 1.2v where I'd expect 1.5v. Unfortunately it's a 393 so I don't have any spares to try. 

see attached picture related to battery voltage requirements. So yes. 1.5 volts would be best.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1