Polishing off worn gold plating

Greetings -- I'm a new member seeking some advice regarding the case of my Tudor 7206/1, circa 1969 based on serial number.

This watch has a gold plated stainless steel case. At the time I got it, the plating was worn through in a few places - and it is especially worn now.
I'm hoping someone might be able to recommend a service facility that could remove the remaining plating, and lightly polish up the underlying steel.

I've seen several examples (both on watch forums and pieces listed on eBay, etc) that lead me to believe it is possible, but my local watchmaker did not want to do it - and I'm having trouble locating one that can. Perhaps it is a better question for a jeweler, but here is an exact example of what I am hoping to do (had the owner of this watch been the US, I would have asked him who did the work): https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/how-difficult-remove-gold-plating-case-4182170-2.html

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

20200317_155713.jpg

20200317_155750.jpg

Personally  I would wear it as is. not knowing  what the plating is composed of I am a bit shy to tell you what to do. But if I were bound and determined   to remove the plating. I would remove  the movement  and crystal  and try metal polish and a cotton  rag.

This may be of no concern to you, but, if you remove the plating, you destroy the value and the history of the watch.  I think it is beautiful just the way it is.  You could always polish a bit by hand with Cape Cod Colth if you want, but short of replating the case, I would take no actions to harm the plating.  Replating may well diminish the value as well.  Good luck,

RMD

• Like 1

Polishing to almost perfection is relatively easy, but what value would the watch have then?
I think that the value of the watch warrants exploring the chances of replating by a reputable professional.

You should definitely preserve the patina of this fine watch. If needed, clean it up and polish it ever so gently not to remove any of the plating. In my book, your watch looks a million times better than the watch where the plating was removed. If you want a SS watch I recommend you make a supplementary purchase.

Tha market tells us that a used gold plated Tudor is less valuable that a Stainless Steel model. There would be no loss of value, rather the contrary. A jeweller would remove the plating with an Aluminium Oxide mop and then repolish in the usual way. This would enhance its value. The case without movement and crystal should be offered to a jeweller with the proviso to remove only the minimum of material.

6 minutes ago, Watcher said:

Tha market tells us that a used gold plated Tudor is less valuable that a Stainless Steel model. There would be no loss of value, rather the contrary. A jeweller would remove the plating with an Aluminium Oxide mop and then repolish in the usual way. This would enhance its value. The case without movement and crystal should be offered to a jeweller with the proviso to remove only the minimum of material.

That surely applies to 'original' watches? ..............A 'stainless' one with what is obviously hands and dial (and possibly crown) from a GP one is very non original.....

6 minutes ago, Watcher said:

Tha market tells us that a used gold plated Tudor is less valuable that a Stainless Steel model.

No problem if the watch is intended to be worn, but if it had to be sold then an expert collector or appraiser would probably be able to tell the watch has been polished and changed from the original, and raise issue before of after the transaction. I don't know if there are stamps anywhere to this effect. Collectors consider any polishing  an offense to their orthodox approach.